Electric Fence?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePigeonKid, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    If I put electric fence up for my goats will my free ranging chickens mess with it and get hurt?

Thanks in advance!

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    While they probably won't intentionally mess with it, if they touch it, they could get shocked. Depending on how much juice you're pumping through it and how good of a contact they make with it, it could hurt them. If there is any way that the configuration of the fence could cause them entanglement or somehow trap them against it, it will likely kill them.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your chickens will be fine. Especially if it's up high enough that they won't walk into it or something. Most electric fences pulsate, so it's not a continuous shock. It's probably happened somewhere, but I've never heard of a chicken getting tangled up in an electric fence and dying. I have electric up for my horses, and in all the years I've had chickens and horses, I've never had a problem. How high off the ground will you be running your wire? High enough that the chickens won't walk into it?

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    The wire will be 9" off of the ground if I decide to go with the electric wire. Still trying to decide. I don't want the chickens to get hurt.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The wire will be 9" off of the ground

That's pretty high.
    I imagine the goats will be gong under it​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by