electric fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kh48, Aug 21, 2008.

1. kh48

kh48 New Egg

Oct 29, 2007
    just put up 5 strand elect. around my property 3 ac. chickens a re use to going into the woods and the bottom strand they could get under but could also touch elect. fence in places. Will elect. fence kill a chicken if they get into it. I put the fence up to keep deer out of my yard and not to keep chicks in. I could also not elect bottom strand. what to do???? thanks Ken in NC

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
  3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We have electric twine around the run, outside of the chicken wire and they get nailed all the time, with no fatalities yet. Lots of swaking though. Our charger is 110 volt rated for 50 miles, so it packs a good wallop. feels like grabbing a spark plug wire while standing in a mud puddle. I think your chickens are safe from getting fried.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Had an electric fence for years and never hurt (killed) a chicken. Lit up a lot of predators though.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Lots of people use electric wire or there is even electrified poultry netting to keep chickens in as well as predators out. I've only heard of one person who had problems and I don't know what charger they were using. You will also occasionally run into individual animals that have an unknown heart condition or other health problem and the shock could kill them but these animals usually wouldn't be destined to live long anyway.

6. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    I've never had elect. fence, but my DH did growing up. We are currently putting up electric now, a strand one top and one on bottom of our fence to keep preditors out. My chickens can't go under my fence so they fly over, so I think I'll have more problem with the top wire than the bottom.

DMK Ranch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by