electric fence

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dudefromtampa, Nov 16, 2013.

1. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    I have a flock of chickens that i allow to free range and lately they have started gandering out towards the road near my home. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of those electric fences to combat a similar problem.

2. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    In the years we have pasture (free range can be with a run.. Pasture is just let them out) ... Anyway, in the years we free range i have only seen my chickens on the road once.. Then went out by the mailbox and the rooster brought them back.. In my experience they will go close but not on the road because the road has no food for them

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use electric fences in multiple configurations. The stand setup around perimeter with three strands at 6", 18" and 30" is designed to repel domestic dogs but does not confine chickens. Another setup with a single strand at 6" above ground and from pens is designed to shock predators probing around pens which occasionally shocks birds but does not make a real impact on where they go. Final system is used for juvenile American Dominique involves electrified poultry netting (Kencove.com) that keeps them confined. The poultry netting works well even when not hot for keeping birds in but needs to be hot to keep predators out. Same product does not work on American Games which routinely fly in and out of fenced in areas.

4. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    Thank you both for your input. I guess it's not worth the hassles of putting up something like this for keeping in chickens. Forgot to add this to my original posting but wanted this for my guinea fowl as well. Same reason.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    We have used electric poultry netting for almost ten years now. Our big layer flock is in a coop up by the road, and it works very well to confine them! Plus, the stuff wears like iron, still have some of the original strands in use, we use it all over the farm, for breeding pens, multiple sets put together for the big coop, and even a strand off the back porch to keep the dogs enclosed!

Although I know of nothing that will keep a guinea from going on the road other than being confined in a pen...

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Another route could also be explored. I can direct foraging by placing feeding stations I want birds to be in. This works for even games which are like guineas in their tendency to not respect confinement. It may take a couple days for birds to adjust and ideally their will be cover close to feeding stations.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

In my opinion an electric fence does not deter chickens at all. One of our new girls flew out of the run yesterday and, in the process of trying to catch her she got hard up against the electric fence several times and it seemed to not bother her at all.

8. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of (electric fencing not working on Guinea). Good to hear it worked for the chickens at least.

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    It doesn't work for guineas because they fly so very high and well. And they're dumb. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by