electric fences don't work in snow?

lalaland

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Pine County MN
had the fence off for a day and a dog dug under the fence and killed most of my chickens. I am pretty upset.

The wire runs about 6-8 inches above ground, specifically to get anything digging or climbing over, but when it snows (any day now), the snow will be deeper than the wire.

Now what? what will keep that danged dog (who has killed cats and kittens in a neighbors barn) out?

i am NOT a fence expert, but anything that touches the wires (grass, weeds etc) can break the current.

not sure if this helps, but i know my husband is a weed-whacking fool to keep ours clear and running.

Hi, I am sorry for your chickens. This is what we did. When we put up the perimeter chickens wire, we buried it about 5-6" underground. We also took a pc of chicken wire 12" wide and laid it in a trench we dug next to the fence (on the outside). We attached the 12" chicken wire strip to the perimeter fence then covered up the strip of fencing. l
l perimeter fence
l
l
__ l___________ground
l\\
l \\ ______buried fence strip

sorry if the pic is not good. This is what we have anyway. So far, so good. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom