Electric fences

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Aug 21, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Because of where I live, I have an electric fence. This has saved my grand kids many heart aches. Each time someone asks about them I have something to say. Before anyone puts up an electric fence they should go to this wed site redsnapr.com, I did. They have fence planning basics, fence tips for different animals types as well as the products needed to do the job right.
    They also have a support group taht will answer any questions you might have. Some sites tell you not to use barb wire, I do. The reason for this is if an animal get caught in the wire they could die. But for any animal like bear or coon with heavy fur you need the barbs to reach the skin. The above site or one like it is a must read before installing an electric fence. For those that still want to pee around the coop, don't worry that story about peeing on the electric fence is not true.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

BUT it is true that if you run into one.....you might pee your pants [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:How do you know it isn't true? You tried it and it didn't work? I can't say that I've ever felt the need to test that theory. Try standing barefoot on the damp ground next time and let us know how it goes...

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Myth busters tried to get get zapped peeing on an electric fence, and electric rail and sorry, but with shoes, rubber or otherwise soles, and even barefoot, no ZAP....

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Hmmm, My boys and I watch that all the time , but I don't remember that episode. Looking at the episode guides online, it says they started by testing a myth about somebody getting shocked by peeing on a third rail. It says that was busted. The guide says they brought this back in later epsiodes when viewers wanted to know about the same thing with an electric fence and on that episode it was confirmed that it could happen.

I worked as a power linesman for 16 years and am very familiar with high voltage. There is no doubt in my mind that you could get shocked peeing on a high voltage fence.

Here is a pet peeve of mine. Somebody says "I was electrocuted yesterday when I stuck my finger in a light socket" or the paper reports "A man was electrocuted in an accident yesterday, he is in stable condition at the local hospital".

They weren't electrocuted, they received an electric shock. Electrocution was a term coined when the electric chair was invented. It is a combination of the words electricity and execution. If somebody has been electrocuted they are dead, otherwise they have only been shocked.

6. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:How do you know it isn't true? You tried it and it didn't work? I can't say that I've ever felt the need to test that theory. Try standing barefoot on the damp ground next time and let us know how it goes...

What I did was tell a grandson that it wouldn't work. Well, this boy just had to try it anyway, No shock

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I dismiss your reality and substitute my own... [​IMG]

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Quote:I've been shocked many times from electric fences. Including times being in rubber boots.

I've watched friends get lit up peeing on electric fences. I know better than to pee on an electric fence. Some friends ain't so smart. Especially if I were to pee near the fence, encouraging them to pee on the fence.

Now if the stream of pee isn't solid, a current path isn't created, and a shock will not occur. I would suspect that this myth buster episode tried peeing on the wire, if they peed at all. Something I rather doubt they actually did. Peeing that way it is very unlikely one will get a shock, that's true. The urine stream has to be hitting the wire when the charger pulses. But if one were peeing on the fence post, a nice solid conductive path is created, and a shock is quite likely to occurr.

Which is why where I mention lighting up friends two paragraphs up, the peeing would happen to be on the fence posts. I'd be aiming at the base, quite carefully. But boys being boys, the friends would find the need to spray up and down the fence post, to their regret.

9. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I'm sorry foxtrapper, but there is NO electrci current on the fence post. If this was the fence would be grounded NO shock. The wire is run through an insulator whcih is attached to the post.

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Quote:Yep. But when you pee all over it, you create a nice saturation area, and that area is capable of conducting electricity. Especially when the electric wire is stapled right up against the old wooden fence post directly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by