Electric fencing and predators. Advice sought.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cupman, Nov 8, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I recently made a post about using electric fencing in the new coop I was building. I got some responses but they were from the coop design/construction forum and one reply said that electric fencing is mainly only good for keeping chickens in not for keeping predators out. I'm not saying I don't believe them I just thought I would come here and get a second opinion from the forum specified for predators. Here is my situation, I'm building a 1000 square foot run for my chickens(and soon to be guineas) and I've decided due to costs I would leave the top uncovered, using electric fencing to keep the predators out. I only have one real predator here and that's raccoons. We have the seldom hawk or coyote but I just need to focus on coon prevention. My plan was to run two, possibly even three strands at varying heights around the length of the run. I figure at 1 foot off the ground, 3 foot and maybe one around the top of the fence at 6 foot up. The chickens would not be able to get to this fencing, it will be just on the outside of the main 6 foot fence. Is electric fencing as I've described enough to keep raccoons out? The coop will be extra fortified with a pop door shut every night. I plan on running the electric fencing nearly around the clock, is there anything bad about this or any suggestions to make?

2. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    Have you considered something like the "solar nite eyes? The cost is fairly reasonable, if they work like described. Solar powered, & no need to run wires. Almost sounds too good to be true........Presently I have a coop and 4ft fenced run. I've also had my share of predators, and most of those came around at night. Just had to invest in some steel and live traps. Seriously considering the solar eyes.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I lost full grown geese to two raccoons years ago inside two fenced yards. Now I have hotwire around my aviary and 4 ft. fence. One strand around bottom 6-8" inches from ground, and one strand about 4-6" above the 4 foot fence. I live in farmland and forest. no losses in 2.5 years,but son shot coon in the trashcan...;0) (course I have my birds in a roofed, fenced with hardware cloth also around 3 ft..height and 2x2 fence.

4. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have electric fencing around my runs. Four wires, one a few inches above the ground, one about 10 to 12 inches up and two at the top of the fencing. Have not had anything get into the runs except when the fence was out. The one night it went out they attacked, so I'm assuming they checked it frequently. (didn't have the dogs then)

I have heard animals hit it, but not often and usually young ones. My dogs avoid it, neither have touch it as far as I know. I think they somehow know.

I still lock most everyone up in coops, but the turkey refuse to go inside.

I run fishing line across the top of the run, spaced a few feet apart, just for the hawks. So far it has worked really well. The hawks stop by and look almost daily, but never try and drop into the runs.

5. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Cool thank you guys that is very reassuring, I was beginning to get nervous thinking about the cost at covering the run. It sounds like electric fencing will be just what I'm looking for. Also great idea on the fishing line to stop hawks, I will have to do that one myself.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    one reply said that electric fencing is mainly only good for keeping chickens in not for keeping predators out.

That is not correct

Is electric fencing as I've described enough to keep raccoons out?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work well​

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by