Electric fencing around coop

Hi all, we have been considering ways to make our chicken coop more secure at night. The way we have it now, the coop is secure (multiple locks on entrance doors, trench and screening, hardware cloth over windows reinforced with 2 by 4s) but a bear or very strong and eager raccoon I do still worry about. We keep our outside lights on all night but we are considering an electric fence to put just around the coop.

Does anyone have any pictures of their setup using an electric fence? We don't need it around our run or any place except the coop. Is it worth the money? It is the best deterrent for bears and other strong predators? How far from the coop do you set it? Will it hurt other animals like chipmunks or groundhogs? Any brand in particular that works best?

Thank you!

A powerful electric fence will keep a bear out of your chickens,Get the strongest power box you can afford and don't be stingy with running the wire.I know bee keepers that run electric fence around their bee yards and have no problems with bears.And do not touch the fence with wet feet or snow on the ground because you will feel a jolt.If you have young children be sure to warn them about the fence...

Hi all, we have been considering ways to make our chicken coop more secure at night. The way we have it now, the coop is secure (multiple locks on entrance doors, trench and screening, hardware cloth over windows reinforced with 2 by 4s) but a bear or very strong and eager raccoon I do still worry about. We keep our outside lights on all night but we are considering an electric fence to put just around the coop.

Does anyone have any pictures of their setup using an electric fence? We don't need it around our run or any place except the coop. Is it worth the money? It is the best deterrent for bears and other strong predators? How far from the coop do you set it? Will it hurt other animals like chipmunks or groundhogs? Any brand in particular that works best?

Thank you!
It would help to see a picture of your coop and run. I am using poultry fencing with a solar charger...love it a lot because it's so simple. I bought the fencing from premiere and the charger from Amazon. Previously I electrified an indoor area to keep them safe while I was at work.

Back
Top Bottom