1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

electric fencing for chickens???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicksnducks, May 27, 2007.

1. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Hey have any of you chickie experts used electric fencing for safeguarding your chickies?
    let me know how it worked.....or not....
    I am planning on fencing around my barn so that my chickies and ducks can have space to semi free range. Someone shared with me their electric fencing setup and it seems like a great idea, but I wanted some advice from experienced chickie ranchers....
    thanks,

2. thunderkitty

thunderkitty Out Of The Brooder

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Sorry, my first thought is: fried chicken.[​IMG]
    Couldn't resist.

4. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    The electric netting will limit you to 150 feet.
    We have quite a bit of room so I want to use a good portion possibly two sections so I can rotate the chicks...
    I was told that you can fence about two acres for about $150....
    I will let you know if it works out.
    anyone else use electric ...to keep the prediators out ...

5. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    We just go with the traditional chicken wire, 2 inch opening, but next time I'd go with the one inch.
    One problem came to mind with the electric: would you cover the run? Young chickens can fly right over the 6 ft. fence I have. And hawks can swope almost straight down.
    And critters can dig down to get inside the run. Buried fence helps with that.
    But with electric, I know it can't touch weeds or anything like that or it will not "connect" or work.
    Maybe the holiday has others away from the forum. Someone else can help, maybe this evening or tomorrow. [​IMG]

6. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I used an electric fencer around my chick pens to ward off predators. I used a $60 horse fencer and ran on wire around the exterior of the fence about nose high for a cat. Never had issues with a cat but my dog just touched the wire and was instantly trained to stay clear of the fence.

7. zoooteacher

zoooteacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    We have a small egg and veggie farm and we use electro-net with good results. We keep our hens on pasture - 50 to a "pen", which is pasture enclosed with one length of electro-net and one portable coop that we drag behind a tractor. There are always one or two girls that squeeze through to free-range during the day (feathers are good insulators!) but we haven't had any predator losses thus far. We like kencove 4 foot high poultry netting, and use a marine deep-cycle battery and simple fence charger from the feed store.

8. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    I am wanting to surround my existing barn so that my chickies and ducks can "free-range" without worrying about our dogs or other preditors.
    Thanks for answering. I appreciate any info I can get....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by