Electric fencing for meat birds?

HuppFamily

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
My husband and I are thinking about getting meat chickens this year. We have not decided on a breed yet. We are thinking maybe Freedom Rangers.

We are trying to figure out how to keep them. We are probably going to start with 20 chicks. We do not have a barn or anything so we are going to have to build something. We have 3 layers right now and we have a small coop and run for them.

My husband thought about getting electric fencing. Do any of you use this? How well does it work? We do not want a permanent structure right now. We plan on moving within a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on the size of your lot, your location and your neighbors - try building a hoop style house. It's fairly cheap, easily moved - can double as an enclosed run for your layers once the meaties are done.....

I've not had to put electric wire around my girls - although our neighbor with horses uses it - and the possum respects it! So I guess it works. I've built Fort Chicken Knox for my layers - nothing in, nothing out. But for my meaties, they're going in a tractor (modified PVC hoop house) at a month to be allowed to range around the yard. Ask me how they did with predators in June...I'll know by then!

Check out the electric poultry netting. It's an electrified netting that can be easily set up and moved around the yard. Move it around every couple of days to give them fresh grass and bugs to eat. This stuff works great at keeping predators out and birds in.

Back
Top Bottom