Electric fencing on goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shay20, Nov 16, 2010.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Ok, I have a male non fixed goat, he kicks and breaks the fencing open with his head , today hubby made him a new coop and fencing in a different area and he jumped or climbed over the fencing, now we are thing either higher the fencing or try useing an electric fencing, do you guys think the electric would work, has any one use it on goats?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    We use electric fencing. We have 6 strands of high-tensile wire with 4 of the 6 with "juice" on them. We have had zero problems with the goats and dogs getting out and zero problems with predators getting in. You can get the high tensile fencing supplies at TSC.

3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I have some now hooked up all around becouse of my pony, its working great for him. So then i will have hubby hook some up around the goats pen and hook it right in.
    Thank you.

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Make it really tight and REALLY hot and you will have no problems...If you cut corners they will learn where they can get out without a shock...I am speaking from experience

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    A lot of people use electric fencing for goats. The recommendation for electric fence for goats is seven strands. Otherwise, you can use a single hot wire along your fence to discourage escape. Is your male goat alone? Bucks are hard to keep in the first place, but in the absence of other goats, a lone goat will look for company. It will escape it's pen and usually find trouble. They are herd animals and need another goat, a horse, sheep or a cow to live with.

6. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I use four on three acres for the does and pony. Four HOT lines.

Six lines separate the does and bucks. HOT lines.

All run by the biggest meanest charger TSC carries.

Works better than any fencing I've tried before, and I've tried a LOT

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    We had him tied out last night till today so we can fix his fence, he got loose and this morning, he was over at our other goats, which have elctric fenceing on teh top, and lol well he felt it and took of running. lol [​IMG]
    So we put 1 strand going around the top of his fencing and so far he wont even stand on teh fence.

8. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Woven wire fencing with one hot hot hot strand of electric fence on top! they won't touch it or think of climbing it.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yup, us too. Ours will make my husband holler like a girl when he touches it weed-eating around the fence. [​IMG]

Our 6 Strands:

Top - hot
    2nd - not hot
    3rd - hot
    4th - not hot
    5th - hot
    6th - hot

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  10. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Yup, us too. Ours will make my husband holler like a girl when he touches it weed-eating around the fence. [​IMG]

Our 6 Strands:

Top - hot
    2nd - not hot
    3rd - hot
    4th - not hot
    5th - hot
    6th - hot

lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by