Electric fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jchantecler, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Hey everybody. Recently I set up a couple coops with electric fencing. I have had birds get tangled in it before, some died and some didn't. The biggest problems I have encountered with it are when a predator scares the birds inside, they run into the fence, the bends down, and the predator hops over and eats them. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or advice?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

jchantecler

sorry that you have lost birds that you intended to protect with fencing. wow.

You are talking about poultry netting, right? not a hot wire around a base that is there outside poultry area to zap predators.

I use poultry netting, for their play yard...but only when I am around....when I am away they go in the run. I didn't electrify it, and I have to say now that they are so calm with it, they will stick their heads through the netting to get that piece of grass on the OTHER side, that is just so much Better than the piece of grass on this side...so I will probably never electrify it. I have heard of chickens being harmed, and I think part of the factors would be the amount of feather insulation between the fence and the skin, and perhaps even the degree of grounding the chicken has.....? chicken flaps into fence above ground bounces off no harm. Chicken standing in wet grass, on the ground pushed into fence completes the circuit.

Thanks for posting, I will be interested in the responses that you get.

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I am sorry for your loss. Electric fence does not do as much good as one would think. It may keep away dogs, bobcats, and the occasional 4 legged predator. Any smart predator will learn to avoid it to get to the birds. Nothing beats a well built run. There are also many liabilities with electric fencing. Birds can get caught and die in the wire(s). Humans can get shocked causing secondary injuries or death and it could cause a fire. Advice is make a fully enclosed pen and watch your birds carefully when freeranging.
    Quote:

4. Tokoloshe

Tokoloshe New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    Sure you may build a Fort Knox but to allow the chickens a decent free range and the benefits that accrue from that may only be achieved with the use of electric fencing. There is so much anecdotal and scientific evidence showing that it is effective over a very wide range of predators that , perhaps, you need to look to yourself if it has been ineffective. I have been prevented from inserting a link to an effective Electric Fencing trial for members to have a look at - pity.

5. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Thank you everyone, and Tokoloshe, I completely agree. I put the fence in so that the birds could roam, but not quite be free range. I have bought some books that have a chapter on electric fencing in them, and I have found them quite helpful. Thank you for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by