Electric lawnmower

FiveHens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Hey everyone!
We were thinking about getting an electric lawnmower: much less pollution, quieter, easier to push (
big_smile.png
)
However, our yard is to big for a corded one. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with an cordless electric lawnmower? If so, what model??

DID YOU KNOW:::: Using a lawnmower for 30 minutes creates the same amount of pollution as driving a car 200 miles!

Thanks!!
smile.png

I really like the reel mowers of yesteryear. No gas, no electricity, and you can have a nice checkerboard pattern in your yard. They work best if you have a teenager!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
And the emissions for your mower come out of the power plant, instead of your tailpipe. Does your electric mower run on coal power or nuclear power? I can mow my lawn for over an hour and a half, on a pint of fuel. How far can you drive a car, on a pint?

If you get 36 MPG, you can drive it 4.5 minutes. Seems like the mower wins. Arguably, my mower does not have a catalytic converter so.... more dirty than it could be but.....

Keep in mind that electric does not mean "zero emissions".

Quote:
Pardon me, I did not mean to imply that.
However, a large power plant is much more efficient than the small one in a lawnmower (or car, for that matter. That's why electric cars are a big deal). At any rate, in our area, around 40% of our power is nuclear (although most of the rest is coal), and it is typically cleaner to get it from a big plant. And cars can be expected to travel a shorter distance on the same amount of gas, as they typically weigh about 100 times as much as a push lawnmower.

we have a electric lawnmower that my Grandfather used! Im pretty sure it still works, it has been repaired numerous times. We now have a riding mower, but that electric one was so quiet!

Quote:
Pardon me, I did not mean to imply that.
However, a large power plant is much more efficient than the small one in a lawnmower (or car, for that matter. That's why electric cars are a big deal). At any rate, in our area, around 40% of our power is nuclear (although most of the rest is coal), and it is typically cleaner to get it from a big plant. And cars can be expected to travel a shorter distance on the same amount of gas, as they typically weigh about 100 times as much as a push lawnmower.

Sorry if I came off as annoying. It's a pet peeve
smile.png
I like nuclear power. You can take a nuclear sub around the world three times, on a fuel source, the size of a baseball.

Also, I don't think fossil fuel pollution will be a big issue, once we run out of it
smile.png
give it 100 years, after that and I'm pretty sure we'll be good. Then we can all look forward to everything being electric.

Everything.

At that point, I think nuclear will be our solution.

I am one of the greenest people I know and yet I LOVE oil, gas and combustion engines. No electric lawn mower for me! I don't waste water or power. I don't waste food. I do all my errands in one trip. I don't use paper plates or cups. I recycle - less garbage to pay for. I wear my clothes for a decent amount of time before buying new stuff. I own 3 pairs of shoes. My car gets 37 mpg.

Being green isn't about the environment, it's about living responsibly and using some common sense, like your grandparents did. Now go and get a gas mower!

if you are thinking battery powered find out how long the batteries last (hard to do big jobs) good luck

Back
Top Bottom