Electric netting

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Badhbh, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Has anyone ever used the electrified netting? This is looking like a much nicer option for the two pygmy goats i'm getting.. I was going to do woven wire, but it's stupidly expensive, not to mention immobile. THe fencing can be moved frequently.
    Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm told that "Premier" is the brand to buy.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:-and in fact, *has* to be, or weeds will grow thru and ground it out and weld it in place there [​IMG] Just make sure you're going to do it regularly.

Only other disadvantage - it is less stable in windy places, although a couple shrewdly-placed t or step-in posts tp tie it back to will help a lot with that.

the two main manufacturers are www.premier1supplies.com (which I highly recommend - good prices, great quality, great advice and customer service) and www.kencove.com (I have nothing against them, just never used them, since I am extremely happy w/ Premier for all my electric fence stuff).

No personal knowledge od how the electronet works for goats (still need to persuade dh we NEED some goaties, lol) but I've heard it recommended.

Pat

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I don't have any personal experience with electric fencing and goats. We were told early on that electric is mostly a psychological barrier for goaties, just like horses. Knowing we have some does that could care less where you'd like them to live...we decided woven or welded dog fence was our best bet. Also, because predators can be pretty determined to get in...

We ARE thinking about running a 'no rubbing' strand of electric around the bottom of our fence...we'll see how that does.

5. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Yep, Premiere is who I called. It's really affordable too- the setup for 160some-odd feet would be about $300. Not bad at all. Movability is what I was really wanting- i'm putting the goats out there and letting the chickens out to putter around during the day, and i'd love to be able to move them to fresh pastures [​IMG] Not that 3/4 acre is much, but hey, you work with what you've got. The wind isn't as much of an issue- the extra posts are very reasonable, and adding some every 5 feet or so would make it nigh invulnerable [​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I use it all the time. I have netting for chickens and a larger mesh for the goats, pigs, etc.

And yes, only buy from here:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I use it with pigs and it works great. My neighbor uses it with sheep and goats on a busy road so it must work for them too. I love being able to move the fence, and another bonus is that the fence works without having to hammer it in really hard, that's a bonus for me since my land has bedrock only a few inches down. One thing I have to suggest is that use a much stronger fencer with the neeting. I used the recoommended strength and it wasn't strong enough so I had to upgrade.

8. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Do you mean the energizer? I was wondering about the strength. I don't want it TOO strong, because I have kids and i'm insanely clumsy. [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    call Premier, they can give you really good advice on energizers.

Pat

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My only comment is that the battery/solar energizers simply do not put out enough 'uuumf' for the poultry netting. It has too many points to ground-out on. The larger sheep netting and it can work if you keep the net nice and taught. But, it will still be running under 3.0 kV most the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by