electric netting

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bucky182, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Are any of you using electric netting and if so how do you like it and how often do you have to move your birds?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    wait what would you use it for?
    why does it have to be electric?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Premier's 48" double-spiked PermaNet. It is energized by a Patriot P20 that is supplied power from a 12 volt 125ah marine battery. The battery is kept charged by five 15 watt amorphous solar panels.

I move it by myself once a week.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  4. Bucky182

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks TDM, Goldensparrow it is electrified to keep bad animals out and your birds in. It is portable so you can move them to new pasture.

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Bucky182 wrote
    Thanks TDM, Goldensparrow it is electrified to keep bad animals out and your birds in. It is portable so you can move them to new pasture.

Oh, duh I should of known that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

and
    TDM
    those coops are Amazing!​

6. moonsynth

moonsynth Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I raised 50 freedom rangers in my yard in one 80' (i think) premier fence. I think the fencing worked great. I saw a family of foxes in my yard two days before I put the chickens out and had no losses from predation. I ran my fence on a lawn tractor battery, switched for a charged up one once a week or so, but I probably could have waited longer. I moved the 50 birds every 4 days toward the end or the poop would build up too much and I'd have to rake it (I moved the shelter daily in the last 3 weeks to a different spot in the fenced area.) I used a simple shelter - a wood a frame covered with tyvek house wrap. the wrap lasted pretty good for the season but will have to be replaced for next year, it now has some small holes in it. The chickens weren't locked inside a night, actually they usually slept outside next to the shelter. They used the shelter more in the heat of the day(I'm in upstate NY, raised them late may- early aug). So overall I liked it!

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Whoa! Now THAT'S a tractor! I love it and now I'm envious. [​IMG]

8. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks. The Cornish Cross slept underneath the wagon, and didn't go inside the hen house for shelter. They liked sleeping next to the dog (LGD) mostly.

[​IMG]

9. Bucky182

Dec 1, 2009
    Great guys, I have been thinking of trying one making it about 10 foot wide on the ends and 72 foot long on sides. Then making a divider out of chicken wire and then moving the birds to the next secton once that one is done. that would give me 3 sections 10 foot wide and 24 foot long.

10. moonsynth

moonsynth Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Are you going to keep the fence stationary for the entire time? If not, one of the challenges when you have just one piece of fence is how to set it up in a new spot when the birds are running around all over. Having two fences lets you set up another fence adjacent to the one the chickens are in currently. Then you can just let them into their new adjoining pasture. How many chickens are you doing? I gave my 50 chickens a whole 42'x42', and moved their shelter to a new patch of grass within the fencing every day, and they were ripping up the lawn, digging holes, and encrusting their favorite spots with poop after 4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by