Electric poultry fencing brands and opinions

BBUTTER

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Louisiana
I'd love some input from anyone using portable electric poultry netting. I want to set up an enclosure to be moved once or twice a week depending on the number of birds I put in there. Our biggest problems are coyotes and raccoons. There are hawks occasionally, but I'm prepared to deal with that. I'm hoping netting is even possible since I also have nosy cows and horses in the pasture. Should I get a certain voltage to keep the cows and horses out?

What's your preferred brand and why? Any additional comments, tips, lessons you learned the hard way, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

After a couple of bad daylight fox attacks, I bought the electrified poultry netting from Premier. I bought the 4' high poultry plus netting with the double spikes. I am TOTALLY satisfied with this fence. It was like playing russian rulette around here letting the birds freerange. I started with 3 100' sections, and have since bought one more 100' section. I am giving serious thought to buying a couple more to give the birds plenty of area to roam so their area doesn't look like death valley. I use a 110VAC fence charger with mine, Premier has solar chargers if that's what you want. The fence carries over a 7000V charge, ANYTHING that noses up to it, does not want to repeat it. I had one bird go over the first day. I clipped one of her wings and haven't had any problems since. They seem totally satisfied in their safe area which contains their coop and a big brushy area for them to hang out in during the hot days. The fence is very easily moved if you want to. I leave mine in place. The fence is tough too, we had a bad storm blow through here a week or so ago. A big tree was blown over and landed on the fence, flattening it. After cutting the tree away and removing it, we were easily able to stand the fence right back up. After testing we found it operating with no problems. Check out Premier's website and see what they have. They also have excellent customer service.
Jack

We too have a Premier poultry netting fence and love it. We went to a tractor supply place and bought a solar charger and a grounding rod and it seems to work great Our Rooster is also a big help he has gotten zapped and now keeps the hens away from the fence. My only fear now is a hawk. good luck,
Lisa

We use Premier's heavier PermaNet poultry fencing. Though a great deterrent, it is not foolproof. Coyotes and wolves are fully capable of knocking it down or jumping over it. A big livestock guardian dog inside the fence adds a little more security, and also keeps flying predators away.

We use Premier's heavier PermaNet poultry fencing. Though a great deterrent, it is not foolproof. Coyotes and wolves are fully capable of knocking it down or jumping over it. A big livestock guardian dog inside the fence adds a little more security, and also keeps flying predators away.
Glad I don't have any coyotes and/or wolves.
Jack

The price for Premier One is outrageous in Canada after the shipping is added.

I got some electric poultry netting from a Canadian distributor for a German manufacturer. There is no brand identification on the packaging or the product itself but the design is good and the quality looks excellent. The folks I bought it from (Ferris Fencing) are very helpful.

The double prong posts are about 10 to 12 feet apart which is fine for flat areas. I add additional fiberglass posts anywhere it needs it. My property is not too flat so I used a few. I like that approach better than having more posts built into the fence.

The bottom wire is non-electric and the first few rows along the bottom are 2.5 inch squares.

I gotta get a fence tester - using my finger for that purpose is starting to get old
ep.gif

Thank you, everyone. I came across another thread where everyone was mentioning Premier, but Kencove seems to have a better price. Does anyone have any opinions about Kencove?

Back
Top Bottom