Electric poultry net

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Suzierd, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Just got a electric poultry fence made by premier and I was reading on their web sight about a death of a child that was crawling on wet grass and went head first into the fence. Very tragic, I'm wondering if that could happen to a child wouldn't it hurt or kill a chicken if it got against it? What if they're establishing the pecking order and run into it? Anybody have any problems with these fences. I just found on an CL she used it for two seasons and put up a permanent fence and sold me her electric one for 80 dollars she said she paid 400. It's solar looks in great shape but now I have concerns I also have little dogs. Any info would be great.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh how awful...I don't have any advice but glad you posted it so people know.

3. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    It was the only case that they know of and it was in 1991 awhile back but still what if the chicken is standing on wet grass? I'm sure it must be pretty safe or they wouldn't be sold for chickens just wondering if anyone has had any problems. I wouldn't want to put a bantum in them.

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I just put up a net fence 6 weeks ago, and for the first couple of hours I stayed out with them in case a hen got trapped or couldn't figure out how to get away from the fence. The birds learn quickly! They go a little crazy when they get zapped, and I did have one hen who kept trying to run through the fence to get away from the shock. I had to run over and help her back out. But everyone learned how the fence works, and I haven't had any issues. The grass within 2 inches of the fence doesn't get eaten much, but that is a small price to pay for the safety it provides the flock.

5. thomasboyle

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I forgot to mention, that I've been shocked by the fence, and it surprised me, and I won't do it again voluntarily! How many joules does the charger have? All chargers put out high voltage - up to 7000 volts or so, but it is the amerage behind it that determines how much it hurts. Most solar chargers have a lower joule output than plug in models. Mine is a plug in model rate for 1 joule. I have coyote, bobcat, bears, raccoons, opposums, dogs etc to keep away from my hens, so the fence has to be stong and deliver a good kick.

6. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I'll have to look in the morning how many volts it is. My big worry is fox. I have a question does the fence have to go on a circle connect together? Or can it end in a different spot?

7. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    It's a 12 volt 45mA came with 100 foot fence.

8. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Oh my goodness, Suzierd! You just bought the very fence I was looking at on Craigslist! Out in Illinois Valley, right, the ad from about 17 days ago? You got an awesome deal. I would have scooped it up had I been faster...just got an email back today telling me they sold it. So if you decide to resell it in the near future, you have a taker right here! *a little envious* :)

9. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

I know right! That's the one :) I couldn't believe I found it. I was trying to save up and get one from premier. Very expensive to buy new and this one looks new. Hope you find one too.

10. thomasboyle

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    You don't need to connect the net ends together. Mine starts on one corner of the coop, loops out around a large pear tree and comes back to the other corner of the coop. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by