electric poultry netting for geese-kinda shocking.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pinkyglory123, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Songster

Jul 3, 2010
    Set up my electric poultry netting so the big two month plus old goslings can spend the nights outside safely. Just as I plugged it in of course the biggest gander walked right up and bit the wire. He froze there for a seeming very long couple of seconds and then released. He hopped in to the pool and after a lot of excited honking appeared none the worse for wear. And I was wondering if it was even ON. I am hoping he somehow communicates to the other five so they don't each have to learn the hard way. I am using the light duty flock tender fencer with 165 feet of fence. This was suppossed to PROTECT them- I thought I had killed them-anyone have any experience with the netting? I was sort of shocked.[​IMG]

2. ellenmartin

ellenmartin In the Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Sorry but LOL!! You were "shocked" - so was he apparently!

Our dogs had the same reaction to the dog wire - one bit it and then that was the end of that. One backed into it with her butt and that was the end of that.

LOL!

Oh yeah, the I was fixing the broken part and DH plugged it in and I got a zap --- it's not bad. Try biting it if you want to see what he experienced. It's not a bad shock - just a little tingle. But enough to make you say "hey-somthing is definitely not cool about that!!".

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Songster

Jul 3, 2010
    I am going to take your word for it and pass on biting the wire! Honestly, I thought I had electrocuted him. I reassured myself with the fact that this IS poultry netting and should not incinerate them if they touch it. All I can say is phew and I can't wait till the GS dog touches it-that will be the end of gosling terrorizing pronto! thanks for the reassurance. I am thinking this should protect them from foxes and coons pretty sweetly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by