Electric poultry netting

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shellebelle920, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Songster

Feb 10, 2019
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    I just bought some electric poultry netting from premier 1. My plan is to place the coop and run inside the electric fence area (so that the chickens have a bit more room to roam when I’m home). But then I started to think about rats and snakes. Does anyone know if the fence would protect against those? I’m pretty sure a snake isn’t going to remember getting shocked. A rat maybe could get through the holes? Originally I was going to make a hardware cloth curtain around the run and coop, but would the netting eliminate the need for me to do that? Any experience?

cavemanrich likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If a snake gets zapped, then will back away and go different direction. If a rat gets zapped, they are smart , and most likely stay away. I would keep fence energized 24 hours, and just disconnect when you need to enter, or have children, or guests around.
    Many peeps bait their electric fences to entice predators to take a sample of HIGH JULES.:wee Afterwards, the predators tend to avoid area.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Sequel and Shellebelle920 like this.
  3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Some small animals can get through the netting. Had baby bunnies that would jump through openings of the netting. Since all 4 of its feet were off the ground as it jumped it did not get zapped. Once the bunnies got to a certain size they could not get through the netting. I would think a rat would only get through the netting if it would also jump through. A dab of peanut butter here and there would get a rat or other predators to lick the fence and really get zapped.

I used the netting for a few years. In that time never had a 4 legged predator get inside the netting. Lost my netting to a deer that got its antlers tangled or I would still be using it.

Sequel and Shellebelle920 like this.
  4. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Songster

Feb 10, 2019
    That’s great to know. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to hawk-proof everything...sigh.

Sequel and cavemanrich like this.
  5. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Songster

Feb 10, 2019
    Thanks for the response! I’m encouraged that this was a good choice.

cavemanrich likes this.
  6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Overhead netting seem the most effective. Most of the other remedies are so so. The kite deterrent works, but also scares the heck out of the chickens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: