1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electric Skillet Bators-Post your results here

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, May 12, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I know many of you are trying the electric skillet method. Either your entire hatch or for part of it.

1. Tell us how much of the hatch you used it for.
    2. How many eggs you set are they from your flock or bought eggs. If bought were they shipped?
    3. Results.

Here's my hatch:

1. I used the skillet for the entire hatch.
    2. I set 12 eggs from my flock.
    3. None hatched.
    12 were fertile and started developing.
    1 died between candlings on day4 and day 7.
    1 died shortly after day 7 candling.
    10 remaining died and I started questioning them at day 14 candling and posted about it on day16 those who responded thought the pic looked good for day 16 so I'm not sure when they passed.

2. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I put 6 eggs into the skillet on Friday May 2, and moved them into my new Hova-Bator when it arrived on Wednesday, May 7th.

I will be moving those 6 eggs back into the skillet on day 18.

The eggs are Ameraucanas, and so far my candling (done on day 7 and again yesterday) has been useless since I don't yet know what I'm doing. ( tried with a "cool light candler that I got at the feed store, that only works if you hold it upright, and that felt like a joke; I also tried with a mini maglite, but it doesn't have the LED upgrade, so it wasn't very powerful; upgrade has been ordered. I also tried putting duct tape between the top of a regular mag lite and the egg, but the duct tape leaks too much light.....A A R G H....)

I did just stop at the hardware store and get the bits and pieces to construct a better candler, and then I will try again.

My first guess is that I already have one gonner, but as I say, I've only been trying to figure out the candling as I go with these first poor eggies.

Susan

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I have about 8 duck eggs in one and about 8 guinea eggs. The guineas should be hatching Sunday and I've already upped the humidity. The ducks should be hatching Tuesday, so I figure the higher humidity won't hurt anything with them, they can handle more humidity anyway. I'm not too hopeful for either as I had a temp rise in my skillet when someone accidentally bumped it....I'm thinking they may all be lost, but I'm going to see it out.

4. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Tape over the controls helps this problem.

Good luck and good hatching vibes coming your way.

5. SusanJoM

I wonder what you think I should do when it's time to move eggs back into the skillet for hatching?

I have had a metal rack on the bottom of the skillet, and a towel over that. Since I'm only hatching 6 eggs at this time (if that many....????), there is plenty of room. I have room for three custard cups with water. Tomorrow (when my new Springfield/Taylor hygrometer has finished testing, among other things), I will start priming the skillet to get the temp and the humidity where I will need them on Tuesday.

My question is: if I go with putting the eggs back into the skillet and using a half egg carton to hold them, should I leave the two layers that I currently have....the towel and the wire rack? Will they serve any purpose if the chicks will hatch right in the egg carton? They certainly do seem to keep the heat from being too directly on the bottoms of the eggs. My tendency would be to leave them in, but....I know nuthin'...

Whaddya think?

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would leave them in. Your temps, before, were set with them in so unless your dial has moved you should be set or close. Plus the towel will help prevent spraddle leg and with clean up. This is what I have gathered from reading anyway. Remember I have not hatched out any eggs either!

Let's keep this thread for results. Post questions on the original thread. Just follow the link in my signiture!

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    None of the guinea eggs hatched and I'm not too hopeful that any duck eggs will hatch tommorow, but we'll see. I'm going to try again. I candle them before the temp change happened and they were all alive. The next time I'll try taping those controls. Thats really good advice. I'm sure had I done that I'd have had a successful hatch.

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear none hatched. Temp spikes are rough! I know of another hatch that didn't make it due to a temp spike too!

9. SusanJoM

This just did not work for me, but there is no way for me to know whether it was because of the technology or my complete noviceness.

I think it might work, but I'm not going to risk it until I have successful incubator hatches under my belt and think that maybe I know enough to tweak the skillet to match whatever successes I might have in an incubator.

Of the 6 eggs I had in there for their first 3 days and their last 3 days, 1 did develop somewhat. Unfortunately I am not equipped to understand or explain where the failures occurred.

Onward and .....
    Onward....

Susan

10. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I used the electric skillet for hatching this time as I have another batch of eggs in the bator.

I have 10 eggs in the skillet and so far 3 have hatched. We are at the beginning of day 21.

In total 4 hatched.
    5 piped.

The ones that didn't make it hadn't absorbed their yolks for some reason.

Skillet cleaned extremely easy. Wash, rinse, sanitize, rinse, dry with paper towel, it is cloudy cold day so I set the dial way up and let it heat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by