Electric/Space heater (for people) use in brooder???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyAnimalGirl, Jul 30, 2010.

1. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    [​IMG]
    This may be a stupid question, but I cannot find any info on it anywhere. I have a very small electric heater, like for a room, it may have a small fan. I was wondering if I could use the heater instead of a heat lamp?

It is 90-95 degrees in the day and around the 70-80s at night. I just wanted to see if I could use something I had instead of going out and buying a heat lamp and bulb. I may even keep the chicks indoors at night. I'll have 10 chicks at the end of the week and 15 more in about 20 days. I have a fridge sized cardboard box.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd advise not. The draft created by the fan could be a problem. At your temps, I would opt for a red, 100 watt floodlight in a ceramic socket hanging over one end of the box. The reflector lamp will be the biggest purchase, but it's worth it. By hanging the fixture you can raise or lower it as needed.

No such thing as a stupid question here! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA, with a space heater, you not only have the draft but the heat will rise away. A lamp will direct it downward.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    One of the biggest fire hazzards and causes of death is an electric heater to close to beddig, blankets, sheets or curtains. Can you see what would happen to say pine chips. POOF, buning down the house. Go with the infra red heat bulb as suggested above. The red bulb will cut down on your chicks pecking each other.

4. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Definately splurge for the brooder bulb. 15 bucks or less should get you the bulb and lamp.

5. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Thanks yall, i'll see if I can go shopping at my grandparents. They have to have some sort of brooder lamp. I guess I can spend 7 dollars on a lightbulb so I don't catch everyone on fire!

Please see my other post, my incubator is on strike and the clock's ticking!!!

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by