Electric web poultry netting. Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flash534, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Flash534

Flash534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    I would like to semi-free range my chickens, and would like to be able to move their area to roam from place to place. I found a site that sells electric web poultry netting. I was wondering if that, with a solar charger might be the ticket. I have a 6 X 8 portable coop that I built, but I want my chickies to be able to roam more freely. Anyone have any experiences either good or bad? Thank you..

2. Kariib89

Kariib89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Jackson
    The only image i get when i hear "poultry" and "electric" in the same sentence is fried chicken.

HORRIBLE, i know, but my dad used to keep my dog in an electric fence and it malfunctioned and she passed away from it.

Never heard of a poultry net though...hm..

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have an electric poultry fence without a fence charger. I may buy one at some point, but I use it without electric power because it is an easy fence to move around for where I want my chickens to be. I plan on fencing them into my vegetable garden this fall to till up my soil after the veggies are gone. They stay inside it pretty well, amazingly, because it is only 42 inches high, and I have trouble with some of them flying up to perch on my 48 inch chain link fence, then hopping to the wrong side. Maybe it's because it is too flimsy to perch on.

4. Flash534

Flash534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    The height of the fence was kind of a concern as some of the smaller chickens fly EVERYWHERE ! And with the fence charger being 12 volts, and the netting being a very visible color, my hopes were that it would keep chickens in, critters out, be easily portable, and not lethal in current strength. Still trying to figure out why I've spent nearly $1000 dollars to begin raising chickens, when I can buy legs and thighs for 59 cents a pound, and eggs for under 2 bucks.. Whatever the reason..... I'm buying more chickens !!! hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by