Electric went out during incubation.... UPDATE: Pictures Added :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by krstms, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. krstms

    krstms MO Hick Chick

    Sep 23, 2009
    I was attempting to hatch some more coturnix to go with the two I hatched earlier on. On day 9 or 10 the electric went off for almost 2 days. I have lost my light that I used to candle with and have no idea what is going on inside them. My question is do you guys think there is any chance that some could hatch or do you think it's a lost cause? Today is day 16 so if there are any alive I would think they would hatch within a few days.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. Stellar

    Stellar The Quail Lady

    Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    2 days? You can try to hatch them but it may be a loss cause. A few hours is ok but I don't know about days. I would think they would either go dormant or pass on....
  3. Fat Daddy

    Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 11, 2010
    Wow Kristi, Thats bad luck.... If you didnt have any power, bet the A\\C didnt work either. Figure your house was good and hot so it may not have been catastrophic... You have'nt lost anything to wait and see anyway. One of these days your gonna get a high percentage hatch and have more birds than you want. Wish'in you the best, [​IMG] Bill
  4. _Randall_

    _Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    You have nothing to lose if you ride it out. I'm a Bobs-only fella, but I wish I could recycle all the fretting and worrying I have done over eggs that I thought were failures. Don't know about Cots, but if they're anything like Bobs, you may be surprised at what Mother Nature will allow to happen..... Ride it out...... again, you have nothing to lose. [​IMG]
  5. krstms

    krstms MO Hick Chick

    Sep 23, 2009
    It was really hot in the house. We were so uncomfortable we couldnt even sleep at night. I didnt open the bator because I didnt want to chance cooling them any more than they already were. I tell ya I'm the queen of bad luck hatches. [​IMG] I hope I'll get lucky and have a good hatch at some point. I have left them in there and will even give them a couple extra days in case it just set them back. I'm not counting on getting any though... just hoping. [​IMG]

    It was off for around 32 hours straight. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. joe125

    joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 20, 2010
    I'm with Randall! I would let them cook.

    #1 coturnix do not hatch in 16 days (Usually). They can hatch early, but generally between 17-21 days. You may not get 100% hatch rate, on a certain date, but I would let it ride until day 21+3 days.
    Something should hatch.
  7. Ga.chickenman

    Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] coturnix are tough little birds, don't give up!!!!!
  8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

    Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

    Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I've personally gone over 24 hours with out power. Thought it was a disaster. DO NOT OPEN THE BATORS #1 if that happens, and wrap the heavy in blankets.
    I did that and low and behold, every egg in there hatched on schedule. Dont give up. Like they all said, at this point a few more days wont hurt a thing to wait and see.
  9. FeatheredObsessions

    FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 24, 2010
    It could depend on the tempurature in your area at the time. I would think nights would have dropped too low but I guess it is possible. You probably don't have to much to lose by trying. They normally hatch day 18 but you might give them till day 20 cause of the two day shortage? Will be interesting to see [​IMG]
  10. krstms

    krstms MO Hick Chick

    Sep 23, 2009
    I cant believe it but I have one baby hatched and doing great and 3 more pips at least that I can see!!!!! I honestly thought it was a lost cause but sure enough the tough little buggers are hatching and right on time too. I think it's day 18 and they arent even late or anything. I hope other people who have the same issue read this... DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Thanks to all who advised me to let em ride. I am so glad I did. I will post pictures as soon as they are all done hatching. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by