electric went out is my hatch ruined?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missfitch, Oct 12, 2009.

1. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    So yesterday our electric went out, [​IMG] I kept the eggs in the bator untill it dropped to 98 and made the decision to try to save them and let my broodie sit on them, well i had 12 eggs and small hen so three were not completely covered, electric is back on this morning and we stabablized temps and added most back (she wanted to keep one) [​IMG]
    so what are my chances that I lost them all, [​IMG] or the three that were not completly covered doomed? [​IMG] how long should I wait to candle and any other info that might help. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would give them a few hours in the bator and then candle them. My hens abandoned their eggs and they were pretty cold when I found them. I was sure they were all goners, but I just went out to check on them and to my surprise I saw a little fluffy butt sticking his head out from under momma!

I wouldn't give up hope. I am sure they are fine.

3. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    OMG that makes me soooo happy!!!! Congrats, I thought for sure I lost them. We are day 10 of incubation. We have 8 young hens (should be laying but thats a Whole other thread [​IMG]) they are like puppies who fallow us around everywhere, and these eggs we already family (expecially to our 4 yr old) I know not to expect 100% hatch but if we got none it would be very sad [​IMG].
    So now its a waiting game.
    Stupid electric company [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Chances are your hatch is still on track! My silkie went into the wrong house once. The eggs were stone cold. 7/8 hatched. 1 did not hatch because it was infertile.

5. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    You guys have made my day!!!

Poor momma chicken lost her house and her babies, talk about a midlife crisis, but I'm glad yours turned out ok,
    I have hope now when almost all was lost,
    Im afraid to candle now, dont want them to loose heat

6. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Mine went out on there 3rd day in the bator while I was at work. I was so upset when I saw the clocks flashing and knew what had happened. Mine are silkie eggs that I got in the mail so I was worried to begin with, with all he horror stories I read on here about shipped eggs. Well, I candled last night at day 7 and I saw lots of little babies swimming around in their eggs!!! I am so happy [​IMG] looks like I will have some sweet little fuzzy butts despite the weather Mother Nature has been giving us. [​IMG]
    At this point I am starting to think of a design for an ark to save us all if it does not stop raining though. Good luck, they should be fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My broodies that left their nest was also a Silkies! Never move a Silkie and her eggs, she will not stay!

It was was pouring down rain, and I saw that their coop had a leak right where they were laying, so I moved them to the other side with their eggs.

Got up early the next morning to check on them, and they back on the other side and had abandoned the eggs [​IMG]

It was cold that night too!

So keep your faith......................................... Keep us updated [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  8. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Thats funny, The broodie I put them under is 6 months old, laid her first egg, stole some others and decided she was hatching, young mothers!!!
    She saw my eggs and was in heaven, poor girl loves on anything!!!!
    Gotta love a Silkie

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I love those Silkies! They will steal anything that looks like an egg [​IMG]

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    How does a broody steal an egg? Is it a community nest box? They can't actually pick them up can they? I really want to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by