Electric Wire: Will it hurt the ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Is electric wire safe around ducks?

We have our field fenced with it but it's high enough that the birds can walk under it with no issue but I want to put it around the coop/run walls for predator protection. We used to have electric wire around our front gardens to keep the dogs out and we did have 1 incident of a duck getting tangled in it(the dog scared her into it) and she was pretty stunned for some time after i untangled her but she recovered after some rest and was fine.

The way I wanna do it theres no risk of them getting tangled but what about shocked? Will their feathers keep them from getting zapped if they brush against it?

this probably sounds liek such a dumb question but i am beyond frazzled right now. i think something just got one of the birds and after searching and not finding him all i can think about is how to make everything safer for everyone!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    We use electric fence around here pretty extensively. I've never had a bird severely hurt by the wire; mostly animals can hear it so they leave it alone. When they do get on it though, they get zapped. The feathers don't help in that regard. We use wire to keep the coons and various other varmints off the top of the pen and it works well. We also fence off the garden with electric wire to keep the ducks out of the zucchinis and whatnot. It's safe; at least it's never damaged any of my critters. It will make them squawk and I suppose if they got way tangled up in it, it would do them harm. But in general, it's ok. I think it also depends on what kind of charger you use. Ours is an industrial grade that puts out 7000 volts. It will light you up, but I don't think they all have to be that hot. When you put it up, you'll just have to keep in mind a little space to prevent wing tangle in areas where it might be a concern. Besides, a mildly zapped duck is better than the unpleasant alternative.[​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I was thinking of doing 2 seperate strands, one a couple feet up and one closer to the top of the run walls. Do you think that would be effective enough to deter Coyotes & Raccoons? We have a few chargers laying around that we have used on the fencing around our property but I am unsure of the voltage right now... just know I have gotten zapped a time or two and it wasn't pleasent!! (and the dogs don't like it either!)

4. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    I think in order to deter raccoons on the ground, the wire will have to be pretty low. They have to hit it to make them get away otherwise it's no good. We have the occasional monster raccoon here but for the most part ours are the size of a large house cat. If the wire is on the outside of the pen, I don't assume the ducks will get into it, as long as their doorway is clear. And I'm very sure they will learn it's there. I don't know first hand that hotwire will turn a coyote, but you'd think it would. I know bobcats and raccoons hate it. Along the top it works pretty well. Skunks don't like it either and will spray at it, which is annoying. [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have electric wire on the inside of the ducks yard. I put it up so the goats wouldnt jump up at the fence and tear it down like they have done with every piece of fencing round here. The ducks are now in that area and 1 of the Khakis got zapped. The whole flock came flapping up the slope and the Khaki didnt stop quacking for half an hour. She was ok..I dont think she knew was got her but none of the ducks have been near that part of the fence since then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by