Electric Wire???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Eliz, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Has anyone tried to put electric wire around the outside of your coops and runs?

I don't have my chicks outside yet but I am just thinking ahead about some problems that I think will come up.

Here is what I am talking about!
    [​IMG]

This is about 100 yds behind my house. This coop is only about 100 ft from the house, but I will not put anything pass them guys.

Anyway, I was just thinking if these things try to come up to the run at night to get a little snack maybe I could give them a good sap!!!

2. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    [​IMG] I would try the electric on the outside. You want to make sure though that no grass or anything can touch it because it could cause a fire. I have electric fencing up for my horses. Now, my dog and my chicken won't go near it. I am even afraid to go near it...lol

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Go to afence.com They have all the plans & lay outs for an electric fence.
    I have one around my chicken yard and it works. Other than the electric fence, I only use chicken wire. If you have read any of my other posts, you know I live in the Sierra Foothills and have a BEAR problem. The only time a bear went though the electric fence was a time it was left off.

4. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have 3 strands of electric on my run and the wire fence is grounded too. So if a coon where to jump on the fence and touch a wire he will get zapped.

5. Chickenwhispere

Chickenwhispere Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    [​IMG] WOW! Thats a lot of Racoons!! Chubby ones 2. Must be good eaten around your house. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You've got a whole HERD of them! Put up the electric, and get out the traps.

7. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the game/trail camera brand and model you used? I've been looking into getting one, and the quality of your photo impresses me for one of those units.

8. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    We put 2 strands around our sweetcorn just before it becomes ripe and it really helps keep the little thieves out. I used to use webbed electric fencing for my run and am planning to put it up around my coop and use a baby monitor as we have been having major issues with coons. Make sure your coop is very predator proof.

9. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    One strand around the bottom would most likely do the job but if you could I would put at least one more strand around the top of the cage. I would also get a farely large charger with a pretty strong shok on it for those big fat coons.

10. StrawHouseRanch

StrawHouseRanch New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    I use electric fence netting. Search on Max Flex fence. I have a chicken tractor, so this type of portable fence works great. I use a solar charger. If the power goes out, my chickies will be safe. The chicks cannot touch the fence because they are inside the tractor and the fence doesn't touch the tractor. It has 5000 volts of intermittent shock power.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by