1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Is it a good idea to have a source of electricity in the coop? Almost finished the coop and was thinking about burying the wire in conduit up into the coop and to an outlet. Any suggestions?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I love having electricity in the coop. It's very convenient.

Imp

3. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Yes. That way you can extend light in the winter to prevent laying from dwindling. You could add some sort of heat to the waterer if you're in a cold climate as well. There are probably a ton more reasons to have electricity that I can't think of.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is great to have electric in the coop. But do make sure you do it CORRECTLY i.e. to code in all respects, not overloading the circuit it's attached to, with proper materials, etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I was lucky in that the old greenhouse we converted already had electricity run to it. I'm glad to have it.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like it for lights on short winter days, keeping the water unfrozen and for brooding new chicks in the coop. Sometimes you just need to see what you're doing in the evening, when you come home after dark. As Pat said, just do it right, so it's safe.

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I hard wired a really long extention cord to my coup and plug the coup into the outside GFI outlet. That way I am protected from electrocution by the GFI and also protected from "the man" for any code violations. The building is temporary and not diretly connected to the house electricity. I hardly have it connected in the summer time, but in the winter it is almost always plugged in. It's one way to do it.

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yep thats my approach, I have also installed 1.5 inch black poly pipes accross the lawns to make mowing less of a hastle, hoses or cords can be pulled in and out as needed.

Do need to watch outside cords run about as they do provide a bit of a vector for lighting voltage spikes to get onto your electrical system.

9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I ran the wire through PVC pipe (about 110') and just laid it on top of the ground. Wired it into an existing GFI circuit that sees light duty for protection as well. Love it for all things, heated water bowl in winter, lighting, electric fence charger...last but not least, tools!

10. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Well worth doing. lighting at nite if you need to go in, I keep a nite light for the birds, If it gets to hot a fan for ventilation, a blower when you clean out shavings to renew, when you want to redo something the power is there to work with too. I also ran water to the outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by