1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electric?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by littlechick1005, Jan 28, 2013.

1. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    Does anyone run electric wire outside of their pen? Does it help/work? Pro/cons?

2. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I do, several strands, one low then about 2 ft above that and just for good measure one around the top edge. I have a battery powered charger, so I don't need to run electric cords or anything. Make sure your ground rod is driven in deep. No cons that I can think of and the critters stay away, the skunk has hit it twice, or maybe it was two skunks, that could be considered a down side. Hens stay safe. It is on 24/7 unless they are free ranging, which they can only do when I am with them.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I have electric wire about 6-8 around perimeter and a strand about 4-6" above the top of the 4 foot fence that surrounds my day yards and night pen. I haven't lost anything at night in 3 years. 15 years ago I didn't know about hot wire and fences and coops didn't keep raccoons and possums from killing my chickens and geese over time.I have a horse charger and connect to it as I run hot rope as pasture dividers. A dog charger would work too. I use electric wire or twine . I also use cut offs so I can turn it off when my grandson is here or afraid I may forget and not touch it.....wouldn't be without it.....

4. shamrockmommy

shamrockmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Granted, I've only had hens for 3 weeks now, but I have an electric poultry net/fence which has worked well. We have a FOX and possums who stalk our property. Have not had any issues so far. Two of my dogs have gotten zapped by the fence and run screaming LOL. I only laugh because I've touched the fence when I thought I had turned it off, and it was surprising but not painful in any way.

I do lock them in a fort knox of a barn at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by