1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electrical dunce needs online mentor for incubator build...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylittlezoo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    OK, I'm gonna do it! I want to build a homemade incubator, I have a little styrofoam coolbox to make it from, but I am THICK when it comes to electricals etc.

Therefore, please could someone mentor me through the process? My husband is NOT good at electrics and I would like someone who's done it before to help me....

Is anyone brave enough to take up the challange? [​IMG] You'll need endless patience, I warn you now!

Pretty please? [​IMG]

2. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Which part are you worried about? If you are worred about wiring the bulb to the thermostat it is very easy. Just cut a length of the neutral side (ribbed side with no writing) and wire it into one side of the thermostat. Then take the other length, and connect it to the other side of the thermostat and run it to the silver screw on the lamp. For the positive wire on the plug, connect it to the brass screw.

For the fan, assuming you are using a computer fan. Get a small 12v converter plug (one that isnt too strong, under a half amp) and cut the plug off. The side of the wire with the white lines is the positive wire, connect that to the red wire on the fan, and connect the other wire to the black wire on the fan.

Its fairly simple, it just changes slightly depending on what parts you bought.

3. mylittlezoo

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I haven't bought any parts yet... I was hoping for hand-holding from a very basic starting point... when I say I'm not good at this, I mean REALLY not good!! [​IMG]

I have the styrofoam box, but that's it. My husband brought some beer home from the store in it a few weeks ago, so I 'claimed' it!!

4. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    give me a few minutes and I'll try to find pictures of everything you need

5. mylittlezoo

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Oh wow, thanks! I'm going to do this, just to prove to my husband i can!! Do I need a fan, or can it be 'still air'?

6. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

Water heater thermostat. Home depot SKU: 258417 $8

[​IMG]

Porcelain light socket. Home depot SKU: 225035 $1.30

For some reason Home depot's website doesnt have the replacement lamp cord listed but you can find them in the lighting section, or just ask somebody

Computer fan, if you don't have a computer to pull one out of:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2262091

12 volt power supply, if you don't have one kicking around:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3832491

7. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm not an expert, but from reading on here people suggest having a fan. I'm sure someone can chime in more with information on that.

8. mylittlezoo

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    OK, I'll go get all this lot the weekend after next. Then all I need to do it put it together.... I'll check back in once I have the parts.

Thanks for your advice Ryan81986 - are you volunteering to be my mentor? [​IMG]

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    As a licensed electrician I need to clarify something before someone gets hurt. Never put a switch or anything that disrupts flow of electricity on the neutral side of a circuit. The thermostat should be on the hot side of the circuit. When you switch(ie:thermostat) the neutral side the fixture you are connected to it will always be energized. The neutral from any appliance or fixture should be connected uninterrupted all the way back to the panel.

10. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    Really? Oops, I read on a couple of the things here that they hooked the neutral side up to the thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by