1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electrical outlets and chicken safety

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frostbite, Oct 30, 2011.

1. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I'm working on the electrical system in my coop, and I'm wondering how to make the outlets safe. Part of the year I'll have a waterer plugged into it, part of the year I'll have a heat lamp plugged in there. Part of the time I won't have anything plugged in. What has worked well for you guys? There are different styles of child safe electrical outlets. Do any of them work in a coop with chickens? Or do I have to build a cage around the outlet? I'm guessing that the little childproofing plugs you put into the outlet would be plucked right out again by a bored chicken. What do you all do to protect your chickens from the electrical outlets? (The wires and connections will all be in pvc conduit and boxes)

Thanks gang!

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i just have an extension cord ran to mine for a light. But i think if you get the outdoor plug covers like then ones that springs shut if you don't have anything plugged in would be great.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you should put them high enough so they wont peck, roost, or poop on them

4. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I mounted a surge protector strip under the eave of the coop. I have a light on a timer plugged into it and now a heated waterer. So far, so good.

5. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Most heating elements and heated waterers have very short cords for safety. Is it safer to have a protected outlet close to the thing you're plugging in to it, or is it better to use extension cords for these things?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our outlet is on the ceiling of the coop, which is 8-9ft high. We haven't had any problems yet plugging things in. We have a separate light in the coop a few feet from the outlet. We have a light switch outside the coop to turn on the light. The chickens do not fly in the coop, so safety hasn't been an issue.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My outlets are the outdoor type with the plastic cover/door that locks shut.

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have 2 outlets inside and one on the outside. I plan on using the child protector plugs. I have young kids. Have you TRIED to take out one of the new plugs from outlets? Good luck! I don't think a chicken working 24/7 at it could get it out. [​IMG] Go to Babies R Us or even Walmart has really good ones. You'll be breaking nails. Mine are down low so that I can easily plug in my water heater. I bought the blue boxes that mount on the inside of the wall, and the covers are flush with the walls. There is no way they can be perched on. I wouldn't worry too much about it! Do what you were planning on doing and buy some nice quality child proof plugs. I also have a metal box on the outside, but it is mounted up under the eave so I can string LED rope lights under the eaves year round. [​IMG] Plus it will probably be nice to have another outlet outside for other things. It is a metal outdoor box with the flaps that have the rubber seals on them.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have 2 outlets inside and one on the outside. I plan on using the child protector plugs. I have young kids. Have you TRIED to take out one of the new plugs from outlets? Good luck! I don't think a chicken working 24/7 at it could get it out. [​IMG] Go to Babies R Us or even Walmart has really good ones. You'll be breaking nails. Mine are down low so that I can easily plug in my water heater. I bought the blue boxes that mount on the inside of the wall, and the covers are flush with the walls. There is no way they can be perched on. I wouldn't worry too much about it! Do what you were planning on doing and buy some nice quality child proof plugs. I also have a metal box on the outside, but it is mounted up under the eave so I can string LED rope lights under the eaves year round. [​IMG] Plus it will probably be nice to have another outlet outside for other things. It is a metal outdoor box with the flaps that have the rubber seals on them.

X2​

10. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    The recepticles I have in my coop are child safety plugs. Inside each of the holes is a little flap that gets pushed out of the way when you plug in something. This assures no dust gets inside when they are not in use, and you don't have to use the plastic plugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by