1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electrical people!!! I need help with the AC adapter!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjeanean, Oct 29, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Okay, hubby brought home an AC adapter today, and it has 4 wires: two positive and 2 negative. How do I wire it to the PC fan??? Or do I need a different adapter??? Also, the back of the adapter says this:

S1 12VDC 500mA
    S2 12.5VDC 200mA

S1: Red + BLK -
    S2: Yel + GRN -

What does this mean??? Will this adapter work for my 12V PC fan??? Thanks!

P.S. I would just wire it up and find out, but if I blow this fan I'll have to go get another one, and it's gonna be $5 that I don't wanna spend...(I got this one online for $3+ free shipping, and I can't wait for another one)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Can't say I know much, but what is your fan rated? 12V and what amps?

You probably want to just match it up with the corresponding holes. My guess here would be to the black and red holes if you fan is rated for 500mA.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    The back of the fan says:
    DC 12V______ 0.8A
    ----------

The dotted line and the unbroken line are both up higher (equal height with the words), but all I have on my keyboard is an underscore [​IMG]

Light bulb!!! The lines mean AC and DC, right??

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

Well, this is what I deduce.

The fan says 12 V .8 amps. So I'm going to say its going to be happy with up to 12 V and up to .8 amps.

The S1 puts out 12V and .5amps, so sounds like red and black are the winners.

My guess is the 12.5V and .2 amp one is for more current sensitive things.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    so 5mA really means .5??? And so I just leave the other two wires hanging???

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    okay, so I have the positive and negative wired, but before I plug it in I want to make sure....do I just leave the other two wires hanging, or wire those to the fan, too??? Cap them off???

7. silkiechicken

.5A = 500mA

1A = 1000mA

Just don't let opposite wires touch. Put some electrical tape over the ends. Don't wire them in too, you'd probably kill the fan. You only want want potential across the fan, and one flow of amps. If you put them to the fan too, they'd be in parallel and you'd have more than you want going through.

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    All right, thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by