Electricity IN The COOP?Lights?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kera!, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    building a new large coop should I run electricity to it. does everyone else have electricity in their coop.

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Everyone does not have electricity. It's just one of those niceties to have for fans, heated water bowls and winter lighting not to mention that if u have a walkin coop it's nice to be able to see.

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    You can go either way... but if you're building from the ground up, I'd advise putting in electricity. We did and I'm really glad we did. I have several lights that turn on early in the morning to simulate extra daytime hours, and I was able to move four week old chicks to the coop by using a heat lamp. Without electricity - neither would be possible!

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you live in a cold weather area it is good for heated water dishes and to add addition light to keep egg production up.

5. KopyKat

KopyKat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Round Rock, Texas
    I am building a 6X8 walk-in with running water and electric. Modern housing it is. Nothing but the best for my chickies.

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    No electricity. I run an extension cord out for lights in the winter. In summer they don't need any. We get so much snow the cord is covered until end of March anyways.

7. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    SOUNDS REALLY GREAT i THINK THAT I WILL DO ELECTRICITY, MAKES MORE SENSE AND IT COLD HERE NEGATIVE 5 TODAY ALTHOUGH NOT THE NORM. FRIEND LOST BANTAMS IN THE FREEZE..tHNKS EVERYONE

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Young chickens are surprisingly agile "Little Monkeys". Prevent fires and electrocution by installing electricity safely and up to decent code standards! Your chickens will peck it, pull it, ride wires like a swing, try to roost on lamps, throw wood chips in the heater, fly into the heat lamp, break bulbs, undo nails, pick apart knots, fight over bugs and spiders by the fixtures............

........isn't there advice here something like, "if there's a minimal chance of harm, chickens will find a way to hurt themselves on it"? And predators will rip apart anything that's not securely attached/installed as if Sasquatch with a Dremmel tool was on his way.....

Then, there's Children Trying to be Helpful, aka Kid with a Screwdriver Trying to Fix Stuff When Your Back is Turned. Electricity is fun, but I have cared for several electrocuted patients who rigged electricity poorly and paid dearly for their naive work. Admitting it later didn't help. One guy told me, "I'll be sorry forever". So, I plead with you, if you're going to do electricity, please do it well. [​IMG]

there's my 2 cents, because I care about people who are brave enough to keep chickens. Happy New Year!

9. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Quote:I'm in the same boat here. I bought a nice agricultural light and wired it up to a short 6' cord that goes outside the coop through a rubber grommet in the wall. I bought two green extension cords and run it to the house in the winter so that I can augment the daylight and keep them laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by