Electricity in the coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garngang, Sep 5, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    Do a lot of you have electricity run to your coops? Or do u just run extension cords out for the winter months for things like heated waterers and lights??? We are trying to decide if we want to go ahead with it or if it will be a fire hazard. No fried chicken for us!!!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've got electric in every coop, gets dark at 4 o'clock in winter here, flash lights just get in the way and its safer then cords. a local kid lost both of her coops and almost the house because of the cords

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

After 6 years of an electrical cord running through the trees. I, last week, ran power to the coop and garden shed. Boy did it feel good to get that chore done, even if I procrastinated a little. [​IMG]

Imp

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have electrical in both my coops. It's much easier that way.

5. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Quote:I am truly humbled by a procrastination display such as this. Brings back my faith in humankind. Thank you!

Buck is spot on with his safety issue. Don't forget the cable hook ups for the TVs. [​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I am truly humbled by a procrastination display such as this. Brings back my faith in humankind. Thank you!

Buck is spot on with his safety issue. Don't forget the cable hook ups for the TVs. [​IMG]

Oh, the bigscreen, in the coop, is already hooked up. [​IMG]

Imp

7. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i have power in my coop and i think its a lot better also , not only because you dont have to deal with any cords but you can have more fun enjoying your chickens when its dark and now have to worry about a flashlight or what not . POWER IS GREAT IN A COOP !!!!!!!!!

8. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Ehh I currently use drop cords. But I dont have a stationary coop. I just have multple pen style. I am planning on building a large coop similar to this one, https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=12626, if not exact. And I am planning on running electricty. But I am thinking about running the switch(s) for it all the way into my house.

9. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

[​IMG] great IDEA !!!! ^^^^^^ That would be really smart , i have something like that , i have a wireless thing that tells me the temp inside my coop from inside the house and when i think it might be getting to cold i flip the switch from my nice warm house !!

10. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Yes I have electricity in all of my coops. It is a life saver. No dark trips in the middle of winter at -55, nothing freezes and if you ever need electricity for any other reason its right there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by