Electricity Out!

retiredwithchicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Byrdstown, TN
Ok, the electricity has been out for two hours (big storms)and the bator temp went down to 78 degrees. Of course, it would happen when I have $225 worth of eggs in there. Every time I buy expensive eggs this happens! Maybe it is trying to tell me something. We just hooked up a generator and it came back on. My husband unhooked and put up the extension cords and it is out again. The babies that hatched yesterday are telling me "put that heat back on please"! I have had candles in with them and they would push up right against the candle jar to keep warm. We will hook back up again to see if we can save some of these "golden eggs".

Good luck.
Do you have other sources of energy? Gas or wood?
You could try boiling water and use hot water bottles or any containers to put in the brooder to bring the temp up.

I had this problem a week or so ago, but at least it was a scheduled power outage by the electric company for maintenance. (Who in their right mind schedules a 6 hour power outage at the end of March in Northern Vermont) Since I knew it was coming, I went to the local automotive store and got a power inverter that I could use to hook to a car battery and plug in the incubator. Temps dropped a little but at least it kept them in the high 80's to mid 90's. Next batch from this load go into lockdown tonight. I did lose a few that were only 6 days at the time but the ones that were further along didn't seem to bother too much. Now I have the inverter in case the power goes out again if it is a planned outage or not.

During the storm last night, this happened to me also. The power went out at 9:00pm and did not come back on until 6:00 am this morning. I have a million Lemon Blue Cochin eggs in there.. I am not sure what will come out of it, but I do have hope because this is not the first time this has happened to me and the other times I did have chicks hatch.. Good luck to you also.

Back
Top Bottom