Electricity outage! Eggs in bator :( Shoule I worry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, May 14, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We went to Menards last night and had a storm while we were gone. OUr electricity went out while we were gone! I came home four hours later and my son had said they have been out four hours! The heat was down to 78 and the humidity was up to 69 percent! I took it over to my MIL's next door and plugged it in (they had electricity, we got struck by lightning) It only took about 10 min to get the heat back up to 100 but should I worry that they may not make it? OHHH It Just FIGURES that it went out while I had eggs in the bator!!! I just KNEW this would happen! THis is my first batch and I will be so upset if they don't make it [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They will be okay, stop worrying...

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    lol ya I'm freaking out...I sure hope they are ok! THanks for the positive note! [​IMG] My first day to candle is Friday it will be day 8.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Honest, I believe they will be just fine...People have had alot worse power outages (overnights even) and they had good hatches...

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Info on power outages during Incubation.
    From- A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The more valuable your hatching eggs are, the more likely it is that the electricity will go out during incubation. If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage comtinues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significally affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during the early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage.

6. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    you may find that they will be a little late to hatch but they should be okay, my bator was off all night (about 10 hours ) and I still had a reasonable hatch [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OMG We do have a ups and I NEVER thought of it! UGH! lol Why didn't I think of that??! lol Thanks for the info! I'm going to stop worrying now [​IMG] If I candle them on Friday and the show signs of life is that a good sign...how long does it take to show a blood ring if they died?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by