Electricity suggestions in Coop

irlybird

Chirping
Apr 14, 2019
Good Morning,

We are new to BYC and in the middle of building our 8x10 coop with a 10x16ft covered run.

Just wondering what type of electricity outlets everyone installs in their coop.

We will have the chicks brooder in the coop (section off an area) and I'm thinking of using a Premier Heat Plate or Brinsea EcoGlow. So we will have one plug outlet. Do you usually also wire a ceiling light?

I don't want to add things that will just be a pain in the end for cleaning etc. or for danger (chicks pecking at outlets or wires etc. (no wires will be accessible to them).

I always do a regular outlet, anywhere from halfway up the wall to right up at the ceiling. I have cut the end off a cord both times and wired it straight to the switch. As long as it's too high for the chickens to reach it will be very easy to clean. :)

IMG_20160330_170206.jpg

This one is around 4" from the ceiling of the coop.

Welcome to BYC
I use outdoor double socket with an outdoor timer on one of them, when I hatch in early spring I use outdoor LED light to extend the feeding time for the chicks, Less risk of fire with LED light.
I use this one , It is good, but I haven't used others so I can't compare it with other brands.
I don't use light to increase egg production

I’m going to set up Solar. Harbor Freight has a package deal for a 100 watt system. ($150.00) That will be plenty to run a light and a heater to their water come next winter. But as far as a plug you could always use a standard outside cover as well to help protect it/them.

Back
Top Bottom