Electricity to the coop. I'm confused.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am pretty sure I read here that I need to install a GFCI outlet in the coop, right? So I go to home depot and explain to the electrical dept man what I want. He insists that as long as I get a weatherproof box and cover, I can use a regular outlet. The cover that has 2 separate hinged covers (one for each outlet) only works with a regular outlet. If I get the cover that works with the GFCI the entire outlet stays exposed all the time unless nothing is plugged into it. I'm thinking I need the GFCI because I need to protect from moisture not only the part where the stuff gets plugged in but the part where the light bulb plugs into the socket. But what about an unused socket-shouldn't that be covered (like if I've only got one thing plugged in).

So is he right? Or do I truly need the GFCI? I am planning to use it for lights in the winter (one for light, one for the water heater) and an auto door opener in the summer when we go on vacation.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    GFI are for your protection , mainly use around sinks, bath tubs ,hot tub, swimming pools, . most of my outside outlet are just in weather proof boxes....if you will be exposed to water around them....yes GFI

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it's high enough on the wall it's not likely to get water in it anyway.

4. gale65

Quote:Is the actual light socket an issue though? That would be on the floor in a tin, but I wouldn't swear to it that moisture couldn't get in. I was actually planning to drill a small hole so I could see at a glance if the bulb is burned out but is that a bad idea? Or I was thinking of using a cinder block, in which case it would be even more possible for moisture to get in.

The outlet itself will be up high and it'll be on the inside of the door frame (so if it shuts itself off I can reset it without having to get my boots on).

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's my set up. I covered the hot wire box's but right next to that is a receptacle & I have another receptacle inside the coop that works my auto pop door. I also have a small light I can turn on to check the birds out with at night. Its nice [​IMG]to have power at my coop.

6. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    The exterior box covers have multi-stlye plug inserts. And yes you should have a GFCI outlet in there. Extension chord is frayed, you are filling water, looking at the nest boxes at all those eggs, the fray in the chord you didn't notice lands in a small puddle of water your favorite chicken is also standing in with you. WooHoo (impersonating daffy duck) GFCI is always a good idea outside, under kit sink, and in bathrooms. It actually is code now.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You need a cover like this..

[​IMG]

Chris

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I don't use GFI's in my coops and runs, a well protected outdoor outlet is fine and works well. It's a matter of choice really I have several plug in outlets in my set-up so the covered boxes work great. Sockets don't normally pose a problem because they have sturdy shields over them and are totally enclosed in glass. I often hose down the areas when doing a biannual cleaning and they can get wet but stay protected and never trip. I have a circut breaker box just for the coop and only run 15-20 amp breakers, on all the hard wired lights, switches and outlets.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. gale65

10. gallopingfrog

gallopingfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Okay, sorry, newbie....What the heck does GFI stand for? I like to build things, I make someone else handle the extra stuff, like electricity...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by