Electricity Went Out During Storms

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WoofMeowCluck, Jun 23, 2011.

1. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    Hi,

We had severe thunderstorms come though a couple days ago, it was day 12 of incubating in an R-COM 20. The electricity was off for almost 4 hours. I put a blanket over the incubator as soon as the electricity went out. As soon as it came back on I removed the blanket. The temp had dropped 10 degrees but the humidity was up to 60% (from 40%). Within minutes of the electricity coming back on the temp was back up to 99.5 and humidity down to 40%. Do you think it will have an affect on the hatch rate?

Also, in an R-COM 20, what should the humidity be during lock down? They are Welsummer eggs.

In the past I have had great hatch rates in the R-Com with shipped Marans eggs using 40% humidity and at lock down turning up to 55%. Dumb luck?

Thanks!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

They should be fine. Your better off opening the incubator an letting them cool though. The time spent below 97 but above 80 is worse on them that the time below 80.

If it was hatch time then getting cold would be the bigger danger.

Before the last 3 or 4 days they can handle outages up to about 24 hours an still have good hatches. Earlier in the incubation they can handle even longer.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I lost power once 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I still had a good hatch. I am a believer!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks, it sounds like all might not be lost after all!

Hatch date is one week from today!

[​IMG]

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:ooh i would love to see pics of your Rcom 20 incubator,,,,,, they are pretty pricey, does it hatch any thing you put in it

6. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    The R-Com 20 is awesome! I tend to take the lid off a lot to move eggs around that don't really need it - the temp and humidity go back to the setting within a minute, unbelievable! I checked the temp and humidity with several excellent calibrators and it's right on exactly. First hatch was 18 shipped Marans eggs, 16 hatched. The two that didn't hatch I cracked open and they weren't fertile. Hatch rate is in the mid 90%. It's a great dummy proof incubator, just what I need LOL

7. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Sounds like exactly what I need!!! I don't have an incubator yet and need an idiot proof one.

8. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    LOL that is why I bought it - Idiot Proof, which is exactly what I need!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by