1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electricity went out this morning and...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monarc23, Jan 28, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I had newly hatched chicks just out of the incubator in the brooder for not even 5 minutes when it cut out. I ran and put hot water in a water jug and put it in their brooder and wraped the whole brooder up with blankets. A half hour later I could hear them moving around for warmth so I decided that since I was warm and cozy underneath the blankets that i'd put them under too. All 5 chicks huddled up against my hoodie I was wearing and before I knew it I had fallen asleep. When I woke up all 5 were in my hoodie snuggled up to my stomach! haha! 5 mintues later the power came back on, I go up and they were all happy pecking at the fibers on my bed and THEN thats when they finnally decided to potty! [​IMG] atleast they waited until I wasnt there anymore i guess [​IMG]

edited to add the power was out for 2 hours

I'm very greatful they waited [​IMG]

thought i'd tell you all my little chicky adventure today [​IMG]

Heres 7 of the 5 that were with me when it happened lol, the other 2 hatched later today [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^the one with the funky head, just has dried membrane there...no biggie [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    [​IMG] That is so sweet! [​IMG] They are too cute!

I'm sorry you had to worry.

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    AAAWWW!!! What a sweet story!!![​IMG]

I am so glad that you found such a great solution (and you got a nap too!![​IMG])

Good Luck!!

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Whew, close call. Did the bator hold temp ok?

5. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    What a sweet story and them are sure cute little fuzzy butts you have there!

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:for two hours i'd say so, i was starting to get really worried though, when it turned back on the bator was at 89. But ive had the LG at worse than that before and still had okay hatches so I wasnt too concerned but was SOO happy when it turned back on HAHAHA

thanks guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by