Electrified Poultry Netting - Holy Cow! $$$

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by anniemary, Aug 28, 2014.

1. anniemary

anniemary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I have finally moved my birds away from the house and down toward the pasture. I'd like to free-range them, but they are still too close to the house and will certainly find their way back to poop on my porch and wreck my flower gardens.

I looked at Premier electrified poultry netting and holy cow, it's expensive! :eek:

Does anyone have another source they would recommend?

Has anyone tried another option such as stringing your own electric wire?

The only predator issues I have are hawks. Otherwise, my flock is pretty safe. I'm just trying to keep them from following me back up to the house.

Thank you for any suggestions!!

Annie

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Code:

Well an electric fence will do nothing for your hawks, and if all you want to do is put up a barrier between the pasture and the house, you dont need electric.

Clip their wings, and just use regular blizzard fencing, poultry wire, or bird net flexible/movable fencing..

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I have just been doing what you are contemplating, I used a four foot high by 50 feet of black plastic 3/4 netting. I got it at Lowes for just under $30 per roll, they also have the posts that the netting can hang from, so installation is a breeze, even for one person. Looks to be portable and change with the times.

I have the dual purpose breeds, so they are a bit too plump to fly over it, but Leghorns and such will not be confined by what I have used. So in you have a Lowes or such near you, that might be a option for your problem. I find it is easier to keep birds out, than to keep them in…

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. anniemary

Mar 23, 2009
    Oh for pete sake, why didn't I think of that? I guess I kept seeing electrified poultry netting and thought of no other way.

I used the 3/4 black plastic netting my dad gave us to line the hoop house down there. I'll rig up something using that.

Thank you!!! (I feel so dumb)

5. anniemary

Mar 23, 2009
    I have heavier birds that don't fly, so I'm not too worried about clipping their wings. And, with my two roosters, all do pretty well against the hawks.

I read or saw where you can put two shipping pallets together to make a tee-pee for the birds to run under for cover. I'll probably add a couple of those set ups in their area.

I do have turkeys down there also. I may have to clip their wings.

Thank you so much!! I don't know why I didn't think of you idea before.

You all are wonderful!!

6. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I suppose this is why BYC is here, I too would like some of that electric net, but I am, as you, just trying to keep birds out, not in. The pallets thing is a good idea, I'll try to remember that one for my needs.

Best to you and your now restrained birds,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by