Electrocuted Guinea Hen - Do We Eat This?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lazypifarm, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lazypifarm

lazypifarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ok, this is part sad, part frustrating, and part ... hungry? It's a confusing emotion. We have a flock of young guinea fowl, and they are about the stupidest creatures I have ever met. Our goat pasture has a 4' fence with 2 wires of electric - one high, one low, though that low one is high enough that the goats can nibble the grass under it if they are careful. Maybe 8" off the ground. One of our guinea hens (the pretty one, too) managed to get stuck between the fence and the electric wire (a space of about 6") and died of electrocution. I'm so sorry she died that way, it makes me sick, it was a painful way to go. But geeze, I've NEVER had a chicken manage to kill itself that way. They're smart enough to not wedge themselves between the wire and the fence, I suppose.

I was hoping to make SOMEthing good come of her death. Could we eat her? I'm not sure how long she was there. It was definitely within the last 12 hours. She's in rigor mortis. The outside of her feathers is cool, but next to her skin is warm. What do you think? Are there guidelines for these kinds of things?

Thanks so much, guys.

2. lazypifarm

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I decided to get in a little practice in butchering/processing, since I've never done it before and there's nothing at stake here. I tied it upside down by its feet over a double-bagged bucket with some kitty litter in the bottom and slit its throat (OH GOD). The blood is dripping but not running. Does that tell you anything?

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Well the blood won't be gushing because the heart isn't beating, so its not pumping the blood out. Honestly I would eat it as long as the meat doesn't look funky. If you decide to eat it, let the cleaned carcass rest in the fridge for a day or two. The muscles might need extra time to loosen up. [​IMG]

4. lazypifarm

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    A friend said "No, don't eat it because it died under stress and will have adrenaline and other lymph node stuff in it!" Is there any science behind this? Seems like most animals die under stress ...

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I've eaten deer thats run 2 miles before finally dying (not my deer, I prefer rifle hunting to bow hunting) and it was fine. Nothing weird with the meat , and no one can tell me the poor thing wasn't stressed.

6. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Yes I'd eat it. I got a chicken a hawk had killed and already removed the head, ate the neck and was starting on de-feathering the chest. It was still slightly warm so I took it and processed it.

It was fine. And so am I.

Never had a deer run that far even with my little 35# bow!!!! They must have been a horrible shot. It probably just bled out. Died from loss of blood not a good shot. 100' is the most mine have gone. Now with a shotgun they drop or lay within 30'. I'm just a female... :p If they run that far the person needs to go back to shooting school or not take the shot.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    He is a great shot with a gun but I'm never going to help him track after another bow hunt. But what does the DIL possibly know about hunting :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by