Electrolyte Mix

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plapczynski, Feb 15, 2008.

1. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    I think I might need some math help or maybe I got the wrong thing. From TSC I got the Durvet Electrolyte and Vitamin mix for poultry (and other critters). It is an 8 ounce package that makes 110 gallons, which is way too much at once for me.

So mixing 1/10 of an ounce of the mix with 1.375 gallons of water would make the mix according to directions. What is everyone else doing as far as mixing and what do you use?

Thanks,

Paul

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry, I don't use electrolytes, but I'm sure others do. I think most make aliquots like that for use.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Mine came with a scoop in it and it says never to use more than 1/4 teaspoon per 1 1/4 gallons of water. I usually just measure a little less than the 1/4 tsp for a regular gallon jug.

I also want to point out that it is not a good practice to give birds electrolyte solutions if they do not need it. It is really meant for birds who need supportive measures, like during excessive hot summers, stressful situations or for dehydration. For regular vitamin treatments to help with nutrition uptake, you need just a vitamin mix. I hope this helps.

Jody

4. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Thanks! I was just planning on using it for new chicks for the first day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by