Electrolyte/Pedialyte question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda Joy, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

1. Linda Joy

Linda Joy Hatching

Feb 2, 2019
    Should I offer electrolytes or pedialyte to my baby chicks the first few days after I get them and of so, how much or at what concentration?

2. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    When we ordered ours through Murray McMurray, they gave us electrolytes. Maybe call and ask them. Cant remember how much i gave mine. Its been a few years.

3. Celeste Cannon

Celeste Cannon Songster

Jan 15, 2018
    Los Angeles, California
    To be safe it's best to give them those extra vitamins. There should be instructions on the packaging on how much to give them. Are you getting them from delivery?

4. Linda Joy

Linda Joy Hatching

Feb 2, 2019
    1st time ordering online. Don’t know that the company will send any but want to be prepared.

Celeste Cannon likes this.
  5. Celeste Cannon

Celeste Cannon Songster

Jan 15, 2018
    Los Angeles, California
    I would suggest getting the electrolytes or pedialyte then especially because its so cold right now. I don't know the dosages, but they should be easy to find online. Good luck :)

6. When is your order set to ship? If it has not shipped yet, call the hatchery and add some electrolytes to the order. If it has already shipped or is too late to add it, buy some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UQOZC4/?tag=backy-20

Or just go go Amazon and type in "sav a chick" and pick which quantity/price you are ok with.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    It's not bad having electrolytes or vitamins on hand to help with shipping stress or just to help perk up a chick. If you get something like sav-a-chick the back of the packets have dosing info (believe it's 1 packet per gallon?)

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I used this with my last batch of day old chicks. 20190212_145402.jpg . All 7 chicks lived and will be 26 weeks tomorrow.
    I added it to their drinking water. Dosage is on the bottle according to age.
    With my first batch of day old chicks, I lost 1 of 6 on day 4 without this. GC

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sav-A-Chick is what I use.
    I measured the packet contents and broke it down to mix less at a time.
    It should be mixed fresh daily.
    upload_2019-2-13_11-15-35.png

casportpony likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

You can use it but only for the first drink. Sugar water also can be used. Then switch to clear water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: