1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Electrolyte/vitamin powder and geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cassiadawn, May 29, 2010.

1. cassiadawn

cassiadawn Chirping

Apr 13, 2009
    SK, Canada
    Has anyone used vitamin/electrolyte powder with geese? I'm on my way home now with some less than week old goslings, and one approx. 2month old goose. It's a bit of a long trip, and I have some Electrovite powder (manufactured by Dominion) at home that I've used in the past with turkeys and chicks. I'm just not sure if I should use it with geese, since they tend to dunk their whole heads when they drink.

Anyone use this sort of thing with geese before?

2. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I am not sure I would use that for any animal or poultry? How does it work??? What does it do for them??

3. cassiadawn

cassiadawn Chirping

Apr 13, 2009
    SK, Canada
    It's supposed to help them deal with stress (same as sugar water does, just a little more scientific [​IMG] ). The stuff I have is "for all livestock" and lists off horses, cows, swine, and poultry.

I'd heard it was helpful in getting turkey poults started. But since I have it, I thought it might help the geese get over the stress of the trip.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I use to use vitamins and electrolytes on all my poulty until one time I started losing some turkeys for no reason. I gave them fresh water and I stoped losing them. I think the deaths where caused by the vitamins. Since then I am afraid to use any additional vit/elc. My food (Mazuri) says no additinal supplement necessary.

5. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I've never supplemented my geese with anything. I've raised chicks with vitamin supplements, and without them, and both sets thrived. I've heard ducks are more vulnerable to vitamin deficiencies (niacin and thiamine in particular), so I supplement mine every few days while they are still pretty young.

I don't think it's necessary if they have good feed, greens and plenty of fresh water. I like to have them on hand though for sick animals that aren't eating/drinking as much as they should.

ETA: I just ready you were concerned about stress. Sure, why not? For a day or two. Read the instructions carefully, those packets are meant to be mixed in many gallons, you don't want to over do it. I prefer using human infant drops (without iron), one milliliter (ml) in their water source when I refill it. You could do that for a couple of days [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. cassiadawn

cassiadawn Chirping

Apr 13, 2009
    SK, Canada
    Quote:Thanks! The goslings actually seem quite happy and alert now that I've got them settled into a brooder, so I think I'll do without the Electrovite (I'm mostly concerned with whether it would be safe if they got it in their eyes). But I think I'll look into those infant drops, since I'm just feeding chick starter (I can't find anywhere here that carries a waterfowl starter or adult diet [​IMG] ). How much water are you mixing that 1 ml into?

7. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I'd put one ml in a quart of water for the chicks. I'm sure there's not much difference for goslings [​IMG] they are water soluable vitamins and they'll use what they need and flush the rest. I've not heard of these mixtures bothering their eyes, that's a good question. Like I said, I just never used it on my geese. I used a little sugar/vinegar water when I first got them home, but the dang little things are really sturdy as long as they are warm and have plenty of food and fresh (well, mostly fresh as I'm sure you've discovered) water.

I only used unmedicated chick starter, 24%, and they grew like weeds. Just be sure to provide plently of greens (they LOOOVE chopped dandelion and pink clover) too. And switch to a 16% or so feed at about four weeks of age in case their ancestors had angel wing, it's believed to be genetic with environmental (too much protein) stimulus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: