Electrolytes and vitamins

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by UnbakedPegga, May 29, 2016.

1. UnbakedPegga

UnbakedPegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2014
    Now that warm weather is here I remember that last summer my 3 hens would not drink the electrolyte and vitamin water that I mixed up for them. (I tried 2 different ones, especially for poultry but can't remember the brand). I could smell the vitamins when I mixed them up. The chickens absolutely would not drink it. I tried 2 different occasions. I know it would help them when it gets so hot. Is there a brand that chickens tolerate better?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I just mixed up some electrolytes yesterday. My 6 week old chicks were stumbling around... it was 89*. The whole flock drank it, and within 1/2 hour the chicks were better. Recipe that I adapted: 1/2 C hot H2O, scant 1/2 tsp salt, scant 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp flavored jello. Mix well and add 3 1/2 C cold H2O.

Edit: I forgot one very important ingredient: Be sure to add 2 1/2 TBSP sugar!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    CORRECTION: I FORGOT TO ADD THE SUGAR WHEN I COPIED DOWN THE RECIPE. IN ADDITION TO THE FLAVORED JELLO, THERE IS 2 1/2 TABLESPOONS OF SUGAR. VERY IMPORTANT, AND I HOPE NO ONE USED THIS RECIPE WITHOUT THE EXTRA SUGAR!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by