Electrolytes for chickens overdone?

LibbyR

Songster
Mar 11, 2017
I brought my birds into fair today and I gave them Sav A Chick electrolytes as their only source of water for a while. I did not use the whole packet and it was very diluted. There isn’t a chance that I overdid it there?

They should be fine. I once goofed and misread a packet label (of a LARGE packet) and put all of it in a quart jar. I gave it to them for several days to what was probably about 5 times too much.

No one was harmed. My daughter said consider it a loading dose of vitamins.

I then read my instructions more carefully.

So normal concentrated Chick Saver could be given daily with no harm.

LofMc

I'm really cautious with electrolytes, but I don't have much knowledge to back it up. Just observations.

I've noticed if I slightly overdose their water, they don't drink as much because they're bothered by the bright yellow color. Maybe they can't even see yellow, I don't know. But I've noticed this pretty consistently.

And one day, feeling like doing something stupid, I decided to try some chick electrolytes in a glass of water. It reminded me of Gatorade and looked tasty. I ended up jittery and wired and almost sick for hours. I also had an urge to roost.

They'll probably be fine. But all creatures have very specific balances of vitamins and minerals and other thingies to keep them stable and well. If they get less or more, it can cause problems. So, when it comes to additives, less is probably best.

Back
Top Bottom