1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electrolytes or Sugar in day-old chick water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickiee, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!
    I've heard that when we get our day-old chicks, we should give them an electrolyte supplement in their water for the first week. I've also heard just use electrolytes the first couple days. I've also heard just use sugar. Any thoughts? Do all these options have the same result?... stronger healthier chicks... we obviously want to give them the best start possible.
    Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

Great! I'm assuming nothing special about the sugar... just plain granulated sugar? I was thinking the sugar and electrolytes probably did the same thing... just a little extra "oomph" energy. Is there a reason not to give electrolytes?
    Thanks!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Just plain granulated sugar is fine. The electrolyte packs at my feed store also have vitamins. I try to avoid artificial vitamins wherever possible...just personal opinion is all. Many on BYC do feed those packs but I don't know how many use them for all new chicks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by