Electrolytes

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by 712msantana, May 14, 2016.

1. 712msantana

712msantana New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Louisiana
    Hello, I have chickens and Guinea hens together. The Guinea were injured in a bobcat attack and don't get around very well. So I have the 2 Guinea in the coop with my chickens. This is my first experience with chickens here in Louisiana. We always had chickens in California and we never had to use any type of fan or air conditioning. The only people who used that in California were in large poultry farms. My adult chicken has had heat stroke. We went from relatively cool weather, at least not as humid, to hot humid weather. Suddenly our large chicken went down and she is not obviously sick or injured. Heat stroke is the only thing I can think is the issue. I've been reading about adding electrolytes to their drinking water while it's hot like this but I don't know how that will affect the Guinea. They all eat and drink together. Does anyone know if it's all right to give these electrolyte mixes to Guinea? I know they're enjoying the fan moving the air. I don't want to injure the Guinea while caring for the chickens... Thanks for any help or information you can provide...

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It should not bother the guineas to have electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by