Electronic eyes - Do they really work?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by riomurphy, May 13, 2011.

1. riomurphy

riomurphy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Intervale, NH
    I was wondering if anyone has used those electronic red flashing light eyes that they have advertised in magazines. They are supposed to be motion sensitive and flash as the predator approaches, thus scaring the predator away. Any advice, reviews or information on them would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I use a flashing red light my niece bought me for my 50th birthdays to attract bobcats christmas tinsel blowing in the wind works well too as do cd's tied onto a fishing swivel with a piece of fishing line to hang them with

3. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    They wiil work for a while but eventually the predator will get used to it and start coming and not running.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 on order.. STILL waiting on Amazon to send them to me..
    when they get here I'm also going to have live traps set.. so we'll see if they work and for how long. Personally I have faith.. have a few neighbors who use them and swear by them. They did say you should move them around on occasion.. and to have them at the proper height for the predator you're trying to scare away.

The coons were back again last night.. managed to bite two toes off an orpington chick (thats all they got before I set the dogs loose). The chick is alive and still a little shocky.. so it all depends on how she deals with the loss of two toes. The orpington chick was in a rabbit hutch.. for some reason she was out on the wire and not on the wooden part.. so "Bubba" the raccoon grabbed what he could through the hardware cloth

Also last night, I THINK a fox grabbed our guinea. She attacked the guinea the night before and I took a shot at her.. So not sure if more damage was done than I thought and he's holed up some where.. or if "Foxy" came back and finished the job. The guinea is free range.. but he usually hangs out in the dog's pen at night with the LGD.. so if he doesn't show up today I can only assume the worst

5. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    I'd say no. I had a raccoon incident two nights ago, and the evil critter was standing directly in front of the flashing red light. He probably used it as a homing beacon.

However, I've had no incidents with tigers, grizzly bears, unicorns or velociraptors...so maybe it's just raccoons it doesn't work on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by