electronic monitoring for wayward egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buzzy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Buzzy

Buzzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    I've got 4 hens on an acre and a half of mostly woods in evergreen western Washington WAY WAY WAAAY too many hiding places Can't search every fern on the place!

I don't have the heart to keep them in the run all day, and it doesn't work anyway unless I keep them caged up for several days - and then when they do get out they make a beeline for the woods

so I need to bug them!

just a nice little tracking device around their ankles and a small locator

I found a kitty tracker online from England for $400 and up

NOT!!

I just want your cheap little chicken tracker - any ideas???

I'm counting on you guys! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can just see you monitoring them from your cell or PC.

Ankle bracelets for chickens!

Think there is a market?

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

When you find eggs just replace them with golf balls then they will keep laying there.

4. Buzzy

Buzzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    "When you find eggs..." [​IMG]

I appreciate your optimism!! [​IMG] every once in a while I find a nest in the woods & sneak out some eggs and then it's abandoned

I'm serious! I'm gonna band em, chickens are birds, I just want a little tracking device

It was a lot easier with my white leghorn but the mink got her, a sad day. I could find her whiteness in the shrubbery and locate her eggs, but current hens are too camoflaged & they're FAST

I open the door to the coop and WHOOSH! They're outta there! They run into the woods and hide hundreds of eggs from me. I know it, ungrateful little biddies

I'm getting no eggs!

Where can I buy a chicken tracker???

5. Buzzy

Buzzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    I can just see you monitoring them from your cell or PC.

hey, great idea! isn't there somebody on BYC who has a livecam in his coop so he can watch his chickabiddies from his office PC?

and ya know what? I bet there is a market if there's something at reasonable cost.

sneaky hens are forever - in fact, I'm sure that's how the original easter egg hunt started. You send your kids out to find the nests. and then they just started dyeing them & giving out prizes.

Anyway, I've done all the tricks suggested, and still lose most of my eggs so now I'm gonna track em down if I can jsut find a device!

My little fluffbutts better watch out.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by