electronic rat zapper test!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by easton coop, May 29, 2010.

1. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    hi all on BTC. we have a rat that visits the neighbours gardens around our small village. I found a hole dug under our coop but not into the coop. I laid some sand down to see if it returned and some corn in a make shift, knocked up, small wooden shelter that i will put the trap in, so that the hedge hogs and birds will not get shocked. I have bought an electronic rat zapper in the hope to killer this rat or rats! I will let you all know how it goes and the success rate. It did cost £30 on ebay but should be a lot less mess then a conventional trap and i wont use poison!

[​IMG]

2. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    PLEASE PM me the results! Sometimes this site doesn't send out emails when subscribed. I think you may have wasted your money but I could be wrong.

3. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    I hope not as we have very little money! It's all set and I will check it regularly. I will PM you on the results!!

4. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    I used the Hard, Green rat bait on mine. It wiped out every rat, squirrel, cat and small dog in a 5 house radius. So I am looking at a more targeted method, especially since I have chicks, bunnies and ducks.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had one of those and it worked really well. It ATE batteries up so quickly that I couldn't replace the batteries often enough and gave up on it.

Hmmmm... Now I'm thinking. Where the heck did I put the one I had? I have been battling rodent issues like crazy this year and that little gizmo would come in handy.

6. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    No luck as yet, but I have moved the trap to another location near the compost heap. 2 rats have now been sited in the area, you can bet that means about 100 of the buggers!! I have baited it with peanut butter and a bit of sausage on the outside!

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    You should try not to move the trap about - rats take a while to get comfortable with new things in their surroundings. They're not stupid.

Think of it like this...

You usually eat out at an All-You-Can-Eat for $10 - the foods OK, nothing brilliant but you've been there loads of times and everything has been fine. (Just like the rats at your coop).
    Then, one day, a new restaurant opens, it's way down a dark alley but the sign at the end of the alley says 'Free Food - All You Can Eat - and it's much nicer than the $10 place' You might walk down the alley a bit and have a look, wait the alley smells funny, a bit suspicious. You ask you're friends if they've been there before, no-one ever has. So you don't go there. (like your new rat trap)
    A week later the new restaurant has closed down and another new one, looks much the same, has opened up on the other side of the road, another claim for free food - do you go? - probably not. (like your new rat trap, but in a different place)

So perhaps try this...

Get an old cloth, wipe up some chicken poo with it and then wipe it over your new rat trap - that should take away the 'suspicious' smells. Leave the trap baited but turned off until plenty rats know it's a good place to go and they've made it smell like well fed rats. Turn on the juice.
    Sit back and laugh at how easy it was to outsmart the most likely mammal to survive a nuclear holocaust.

You are now deeply entrenched in a war of attrition - their sheer numbers vs your patience and cunning. Semper Fi.

8. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    It's a killer [​IMG] but only a slug!!! [​IMG]

9. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    You will all be pleased to know that the Zapper has made it's 1st proper kill. A nice big Rat that was under the coop! I am so pleased [​IMG] I'm keeping it there to see if others are resident in the area! I have also made a death bucket for the mice to reduce their population!

10. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I used the rat zapper with batteries--it did its job. I let it hang out with the chickens for a while before juicing it up so that it would seem familiar. then bait and let it roll [​IMG] Mine looked a little different from yours though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by